jwrezz

Elite Snow Shoveler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Parsippany, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I'm having some serious issues w/ the tuning of this engine. I have a Bama Chips tune for 87 octane in the thing from when it was the old engine. I have no CEL, but it won't idle well. Some times up to 2500 rpm, some times it just hovers around stalling, rarely it does actually stall. I'm hoping it's just the computer learning it's new things, but could the .030" over bore really cause this much trouble? I'd put the stock tune back in, but I can't. The SCT tuner was stolen out of my garage. I've been in touch w/ Doug, and he is looking for a used one that he can put a stock tune on, but until then, I just may have to pony up and buy a new one. I know it prob'ly needs plugs, but no CEL tells me that it's not misfiring. Maybe the MAF is dirty? maybe the IAC is shot? I unplugged it once to check, and the thing died so I know it's working, just maybe not properly? Thanx for any help!

Here's a thread on the rebuild process:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1931602

Did MAF, new FPR, plugs & wires, and cleaned IAC. Still runs like ****. Could the cam sensor be out? I would like to think that my builder did it right when he did it. He went out and got the tool to do it, after all. Maybe it got whacked out? How hard is the cam sensor alignment job w/ the entire engine put together and in the truck? Any body do it w/ out major disassembly? Thanx,

If I temporarily disconnect the CPS, the computer should throw a CEL, and also go into limp mode. This would be safer than leaving the CPS connected, right? I'm just thinking of driving it to my builder and have him check the CPS rather than towing it. But I dont' wanna screw myself even more. Thanx,

Well, it's all done. And it wasn't the CPS! It was a massive vacuum leak from the egr tube! Now it's put together properly and runs like a charm. Still need a tune tho...

Back