• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket center console?

Ryon40

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport 4x4
I have a 98 Explorer Sport, and have to admit I despise the center console. The cup olders dont serve much justice and the little "basket" type things by the dash, well that material doesnt like to stay clean not to mention I dont really like the hole for the tissues. I was just wondering Ive searched everywhere and all I find are ones people make themselves, is there any aftermarket center consoles or any that may be factory but fit and are different?

Thanks guys!:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is this style:

67749D89-D17A-4755-97B0-CB84488ADB575.jpg

Thats from my 2000 4 door.

Tuffy also makes some nice and strong center consoles http://www.tuffyproducts.com/c-4-consoles.aspx

I like it because the rearmost one holds the big gatorade bottles =D

I have a 98 Explorer Sport, and have to admit I despise the center console. The cup olders dont serve much justice and the little "basket" type things by the dash, well that material doesnt like to stay clean not to mention I dont really like the hole for the tissues. I was just wondering Ive searched everywhere and all I find are ones people make themselves, is there any aftermarket center consoles or any that may be factory but fit and are different?

Thanks guys!:cool:

I have to agree. From the sounds of it we have the same consoles. I pulled the two black sections out (cup holders and the "baskets") and gave them a bath in hot soapy water. I used a fairly strong bristle brush to clean that fabric material in the "baskets" of all the spilt coffee and fast food droppings that the previous owner managed to get in them. They came out looking new.

My cupholders are just the molded in ones - are they susposed to have rubber inserts? My Mustang has one rubber insert and an ashtray that fits in the other. None of my waterbottles, and any cup I have tried, will fit either of my Ex's cupholders securely.

Does anyone know what that rectangular holder beside the cupholders is intended for?

Does anyone know what tissues fit in the holder? Nothing I have seen would come even close.

Right now I have a USB power adapter that I keep plugged into the auxilary power outlet on the passenger side of the console. It powers my smart phone that I keep on the console when I'm on the road. Over the summer I want to install a RAM mount for the phone. Does anyone have any experience with the mounts and what works well?

I have looked at changing out the console but have decided to make the existing one work (compromise :(). I like a console that meets up with the dashboard. I also do not want to give up the auxillary power outlet, mess with the rear seat heat and sound controls and have to worry about mounting the factory disc changer. I am considering painting the black pieces to match the colour of the truck (along with the rest of the black interior trim) and installing LED's to light the cupholders and "baskets" (I like that term :)). I think that would add some much needed visual appeal, and then if I can get the functionality going I might just be happy with the console afterall.

Sorry to Ryon if I took this off track.

I have to agree. From the sounds of it we have the same consoles. I pulled the two black sections out (cup holders and the "baskets") and gave them a bath in hot soapy water. I used a fairly strong bristle brush to clean that fabric material in the "baskets" of all the spilt coffee and fast food droppings that the previous owner managed to get in them. They came out looking new.

My cupholders are just the molded in ones - are they susposed to have rubber inserts? My Mustang has one rubber insert and an ashtray that fits in the other. None of my waterbottles, and any cup I have tried, will fit either of my Ex's cupholders securely.

Does anyone know what that rectangular holder beside the cupholders is intended for?

Does anyone know what tissues fit in the holder? Nothing I have seen would come even close.

Right now I have a USB power adapter that I keep plugged into the auxilary power outlet on the passenger side of the console. It powers my smart phone that I keep on the console when I'm on the road. Over the summer I want to install a RAM mount for the phone. Does anyone have any experience with the mounts and what works well?

I have looked at changing out the console but have decided to make the existing one work (compromise :(). I like a console that meets up with the dashboard. I also do not want to give up the auxillary power outlet, mess with the rear seat heat and sound controls and have to worry about mounting the factory disc changer. I am considering painting the black pieces to match the colour of the truck (along with the rest of the black interior trim) and installing LED's to light the cupholders and "baskets" (I like that term :)). I think that would add some much needed visual appeal, and then if I can get the functionality going I might just be happy with the console afterall.

Sorry to Ryon if I took this off track.

Not at all itll help me as well if there are no appealing aftermarket ones :D

If they are the same as in my 96, Kleenex Junior Facial Tissues fit. The last ones I bought were from Walgreens.

I just swapped it out for a message center lol:thumbsup:

Back