Center Console Help!!

Sloth

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
Hi guys

New to Explorers and the forum, NOT new to cars AT ALL.

Just picked up a 2000 XLS today. The only thing I dont care for is the center console. Its NOT the one I'm used to seeing (the one that goes all the way up to under the heater control, with the duel-chambered pocket, and tissue-box above the cupholders)

This car has some half-console with some weird tote-bag under the armrest that has the Explorer logo on it for a center console. It looks like total garbage, but for what I paid for the car, its the ONLY thing I can complain about.

I want to swap it out for the full-length console.

Anyone know where I can get one? I'm pretty sure its easy to do (same body and interior) but I dont know where to start.

Any info will be appreciated.

I can snap some pics if you dont know what im talking about.

Thanks again guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,Try a junkyard,I know the one by me,Red and Black in jamesburg nj,has 3 or 4 explorers and mountaineers.732 521 9856,I am going today,it's my second home on the weekends.Good Luck,Kurt.

I had the short console in my '01 when I bought it and swapped it out for a long console from a '96 or '97. You need to get ALL the brackets that are part of the long console, including the one that is riveted to the floor. If you want to make the rear heat flow through the console, you will also have to get the front of the heater plenum from under the dash in the donor vehicle. Getting all the electronics in the long console to work is another issue all together. If you don't pull the harness from a junkyard, be prepared to spend days figuring it out.....if you're good with electronics....

This is a good question, I'd like to know myself...

Id like to see a pic of what you have now please

you could always do like me and go to your nearest hardware store and pick up a sheet of 3/4 thick mdf wood and to an auto part store and get some fiber glass resin and sheets and paintbrushes and build a console of your own(i have yet to fiber glass my console but it is built out of 3/4 thick mdf wood and looks very nice...........pictures later maybe if i can get around to doing it)

Thanks for all the responses guys. Sorry I havent been back on, I had a small accident involving a clumsy friend and a glass coffee table that landed me in the hospital and put 46 stitches in my leg. I havent been able to leave the house till today.

I'll take some pics later on.

As for fabbing one, and/or wiring up heater controls, I've been a custom installer for 12 years now (just now trying to find something new) so am more than capable of building one by hand, upholstering it, and wiring up rear heater controls, but I really dont feel like taking the time to do it. I'd much rather just get one, bolt it in, maybe go as to make a filler-plate or something for where the rear heater controls go, and just control it from the front.

Here's the pics. Help me out here!

Console1.JPG

console2.JPG

console3.JPG

console4.JPG

had one similar but i trashed it so i could build my own.....if i ever remember ill take pics and upload them on here and show u my custom built one (still needs work though)

Anyone finish this??

My 03 Sport Trac has the same short (?) console and i want to change it to the long (?) console....so want to know how it goes....

Havent had the time to pursue it, with the holidays and all. Hopefully when the weather warms up a little, I'll get to it.

well i might go get a digital camera soon so i can take pics for ya....it has cup holders big enough to put the full size powerade bottles in it and it even has a 6 inch monitor and my ps2

This is not about the center console exactly but, I have a 99 xlt without the info center, I'd like to get one and I found one to buy, but how easy is it to install the info center where the shelves are if it wasn't there originally? I have some experience with soldering and other electrical repair/replacement to let you know of my skill level. Thanks.

you know, it says the range left on the tank, MPG, oil change range, stuff like that

Please show your custom consoles! I've got this same console and I'm looking for some ideas!

Back