Aftermarket Fuel filters maybe the culprit? I need help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Fuel filters maybe the culprit? I need help.

lrwjr1964

Reaction score
City, State
Camden, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I have a question. My X 4.0 was running fine. Had the plugs and wires, fuel filter and air filter replaced. The x started fine. Went down the road started stumbling coul dnot go above 40 mph. Thought it was because the IAC or MAF was dirty and cleaned those. Come to find out a spark plug was cracked. Replaced. X started and ran fine. The next morning the x is hard to start. cranks hard but no start. after 3 tries it starts. looked atthe battery and terminals were cruddy. Cleaned both. Still hard starting. now it's been 3 weeks. If I turn the key on and off about 4 to 5 times the x will start no problems and run like a champ. If I let it sit for 30 min I have to repeat the procedure but if I try to start it within 10 to 15 min of turning it off it starts right up so that leads me to believe that it is retaining pressure and not losing pressure which would indicate a bad pump. Now I was wondering if it could be the brand of fuel filter I am using. I first put in a puralator and then replaced it with a fram both brand new. Someone said i should have used the oem motorcraft. The only codes I get are for O2 sensors. Iv'e changed fuel pump relays and fuses. Another thing I noticed is that when I unplugged the MAF sensor in the past the engine rpm would go down slightly and then come back up. Now since all this has happened, when i unplug the the MAF sensor plug the x runs for 10 seconds and totally dies. Would that indicate the PCM is going bad? Any insight would be appreciated since I am unemployed and I don't have money to keep throwing at my x.

Like I said she ran great until I had everything replaced. Oh yeah, the fuel filter was the only thing on that x that was original from 2002. It was total hell getting off. Could the line or lines some how have gotten messed up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Somewhere in the fuel system there is a check valve to maintain pressure after the key is turned off. ususally it is in the fuel pump, but im not completely sure on the explorer. You need to find out what the fuel pressure is after sitting for 1/2hr or so. if it drops to less than 20psi you have a bleed-off problem, most likely the fuel sender. If that is the issue you can drive it forever like that, just have to cycle the key a few times before you start it. If it is an injector or fuel pressure regulator you must repair it, or you will have major problems shortly

Thank you for your insight. I will see if I can check it tomorrow. I am going to take it to the shop to make sure my fuel lines did not get messed up some how. I think the check valve is by the back of the tank. I should have left it alone. Like they say "if it aint broke don't fix it." I just hate the fact that i took it in early and it started and ran perfect and i get it back and now it's hard to start. That's the only issue. I'll keep everyone posted.

Update: CEL light on.

Codes are:
P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 circuit high input.
P0136 - Oxygen Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2 see P2270 - P2271

Hmmmm......Is anyone familiar with codes?

Does this mean my MAF is shot? I cleaned it 2 times already.

Back