Aftermarket Gauge Cluster Question(s) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Gauge Cluster Question(s)

chevyh8r

Reaction score
City, State
lees summit, MISSOURI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 EB
Hey guys! I have been a part of this forum for quite a while! I joined before I even had my explorer. I have a 1994 eddie bauer. 4 door, 4 wheel drive. I purchased some aftermarket gauges off of ebay, I did alot of search on how to change mine. I really could not find anything helpful for 91-94/first gen. explorers. Does anybody have an idea, or any help that might be useful ? I am not too dumb, but I just dont want to go tearing into that part of my x, with the knowledge I have about gauges.(NONE) I truthfully have the slightest clue on how to even remove the old gauges. I know the dash has to come off, obviously. I herd to take the needles off, be careful. Mark where they were, and a fork is the simpleist tool to use to remove them. Any websites, or how to's, or information from people that have attempted it, or just know how to do it would be excellent! I am not too sure on how many people like first gen. x's here that are not lifted, but I would like to share some pictures of mine soon. Should I just put my cardomain website on here ? I would like to know what people think, of what I have done so far. Also would like to know, what other people's opinions of what I should do next. I would appreciate the help, thanks alot !!

Mods, if your interested -

high priced, horrible macco painted, indigo blue paint job
kkm cold air intake
6 piece diamond cut clears
8500k xenon headlight bulbs
Smoked tail lights (just covers)
blue signal bulbs(front only)
blue reverse lights
blue interior lights(All replaced with blue exsept the " map " reader lights)
5% reflective during day/black at night tint(every window exsept windshield)
10" 5% black brow(sp?)
aftermarket cd/mp3 player
all 4 new 5x7 alpine door speakers
pair of 1/2" tweets
15" rockford p3 subwoofers
Memphis 1500 class d amplifier
Audiopipe 1 farad capacitor(sp?)
130 amp alternator
30" tires...(Needs bigger tires, or 22" rims)...lol
and hopefully new gauge cluster soon.....any helps greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any help, guys/girls ? It would be greatly appreciated.....thank you

- Josh

okay first off your post is confusing because you say you purchased aftermarket gages.
You did not get gages, you got a new faceplate for your stock gages, big difference.
You are trying to install stickers, not mechanical or electric gages.

have you tried the search button?

Welcome back, sounds like a nice rig!

Yeah, i have searched alot. Mostly second gen information. I just want to put the " white face gauge " covers "" on .... and need to know how hard it is, so just any help would be great.....

If you want to see pictures of it, here it is ....Cardomain website

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2079165/1

Ok im going to help you the best I can. I did this on my 94 about 8 months ago so I might be sketchy on exact details. First take out the ash tray by holding the release on top of it( it will then slide out, disconnect the power and ground to the cig lighter. un screw the 2 screws that are there holding the trim panel on. Remove radio, slowly pull around the trim (carefully as not to break it) its held in by clips that will release some what easily( for easiest removal put the shift knob in 1st gear with the E brake on because it WILL get in the way.

Slowly pull it away from the dash but make sure to disconnect the 4x4 switch from behind, as well as the rear wiper and defroster switch. Once you have it removed there are a few hex screws around the clear lense remove those and lift it off carefully not to crack the pieces on the bottom. VERY CAREFULLY manuver the new lay outs over the needels( you may need to glue them to your existing gauges, thats what I had to do to get them to lay flat enough the didnt touch the needles). you then run the ground wire to any ground you chose, and the power wire to any wire that has power while the head lights are on, such as head light switch or hvac harness.

you will need the bubble switch they include in the package , I mounted mine in the ashtray since I dont use it but you can put it where it is most convienent to you. then put it all back together making sure you reconnect your switches.
Good luck hope this helps
Jon

Thanks alot man, they are still on there way. But I am anxious to see what they are going to look like. Do you have any pictures of yours ? I would like to see them, im sure they will look pretty good. THanks for the help by the way, do you know what hex # to use, if they are hex ? THanks

Back