• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket intake

floydfly

Reaction score
City, State
Denver,CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I just bought a '93, that the previous owner "rigged" an aftermarket K&H style intake onto the Flange that used to connect to the filter box. The stock filter box had two prong connectors coming off it, and i found one of the vacuum hoses that went to it. It was just laying there sucking in air, so I plugged it. Is there another one that I'm not finding? And does this set up sound like trouble? I can always go to a junkyard, and find a used filter box, (since they broke the old one), but if this works, then I'll leave it be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes there are two hoses. One is a small hard vaccume hose with the 90 degree rubber connector like a sparkplug wire connector. It is usually routed through the rear of the engine to the filter box. The other hose is a rubber hose that is black with yellow(ish) stripes on it. This hose will come more from the front of the engine bay near the battery . Just plug both up and you will be fine.

As mentioned just plug the vacuum hoses as the BiMetal Sensor is not needed when you have an open element Air filter.. Check out similiar BiMetal Sensor threads for more info.

I found the right angle connector, but can't locate the other one. Where does it come from?

It may not still be there. When I put on my intake, I pulled all the old stuff out, including that line. I don't remember where it came from, but if your truck doesn't have any of the original air box, base, or duct from the manifold, chances are they took the line out too.

The bottom half of the old airbox is still there. The previous owner just stuffed a k&n style into the intake hose. He left the right angle vacuum hose laying there, open, so judging by his carelessness, the other one should be there somewhere. I wonder where it came from, and what it's purpose was?

Wow, That sounded a bit philosophical.

Well...I wish I could help you but I don't have my '92 at school with me. Maybe somebody else will check for you.

floydfly said:
The bottom half of the old airbox is still there. The previous owner just stuffed a k&n style into the intake hose. He left the right angle vacuum hose laying there, open, so judging by his carelessness, the other one should be there somewhere. I wonder where it came from, and what it's purpose was?

I believe that other hose goes to the upper intake manifold. It's been few years since I messed with that hose, so it's foggy memory...

Since the previous owner did things "carelessly" as you put it, you might want to check extra closely for vacuum leaks. A telltale sign is a high idle, like anything over 700 rpm.

Hey I'll check it out. I've run mine without that connecte every so often. Just forgetting to hook it up when changing the air filter. I never really noticed much difference. Well I looked at it and all I could see without removing anything was that the rubber hose (black and yellow) runs down under the battery tray and then runs along the frame towards the rear, around the firewall it connects to some copper tube. The other just runs along the the firewall over to the intake. On the intake there is a multiple vaccum conection, you should be able to see it.

Why do you want to keep the sensor hooked up when it no longer functions as it was intended? In stock form the bimetal sensor would allow outside air to be routed to the stock air box after the engine has warmed up. As such if you're using a cone filter and no longer have the stock air box there is no need to have this sensor. You can certainly go ahead and do this mod, but
  • It will have no benefit
  • It can lead to a vacuum leak and compromise the vacuum system if the sensor should fail. (The less things to worry about the better)
IMO it would be best to leave the bimetal sensor in the stock air box and store it in your garage. That way you'll have it in case it is ever needed.

Back