Aftermarket Keyless Entry, Alarm Still Sounds Sometimes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Keyless Entry, Alarm Still Sounds Sometimes

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Bauer
So I have some what of an odd problem, I was looking through posts about the RAP module but haven't seen this particular issue.

So my 1996 Explorer has been in my family for about 4 years and it came with an aftermarket remote starter. Ever since we got it, when using the remote to unlock the doors, sometimes the alarm still sounds. It doesn't happen every time, maybe half of the time. Using the keypad on the door as well as the key work fine. Also, sometimes when going to my car I notice all the doors have unlocked, and when opening a door the alarm sounds. Now this has happened at numerous places, and sometimes I'm almost a half mile away from the car so I can't be sitting on the remote. This has only happened about 10 times in the past month and I cannot replicate it. Since I have an aftermarket remote starter, I wasn't sure if replacing the RAP module would create an issue, or if there is something I'm missing. I've tried the relays for the lock and unlock function but no luck. Thanks for your help.

remove the power to the remote starter to help isolate your problem

I did actually try this and it did not have any effect. The alarm will still go off when the key fob is used. I'm more concerned with the random unlock issue since I park in a not so good area when I'm at school.

Back