'95 Limited
Hi guys,

A while back, I installed a new stereo in My '95 explorer. It consisted of:

Pioneer 740 HU
Pioneer DEQ-9200 EQ
Phoenix gold 5.0.4 4 channel Amp
Phoenix Gold 8.0.1 1 Channel Amp
12" SoundStream Davinci Sub
2 x 6x8 infinity kappa speakers - hooked to only 2 channels of the 4 channel amp because I didnt have time to put in the other 2 speakers.

Everything worked great for a month or so then it started cutting out. I had originally thought it maybe drawign too much power because it would only cut out when it was loud. This wasn't the case. It started cutting out while the volume was down low as well. I had thought that I had some faulty wiring (like a bad ground) on my part but I went back and rechecked all the wiring and everything was fine.

One day while I was driving, the stereo was turned on (very low volume). I put my foot on the brakes and the stereo started to cut out. When it cuts out, it makes a staticy noise first then I can hear the amps turn off. This time, I took my foot off the brake and the stereo, while it had started to cut out, came back on. So I thought hmmm well lets try turning on my headlights now. Sure enough the stereo cut out. Now you may say well this sounds like I don't have enough juice. You maybe correct but the strange thing is that it doesn't happen like that all the time. I could be idling, listening to music, all my lisghts on and the stereo still works.

before I pull my volt meter out and start measuring, I just wanted to see if anyone here has had any experince with that or could offer suggestions on what I might take a look at besides the battery and alternator because my last 9and most expensive choice) is to replace both.

Thanks!

find a different ground for your amp. sounds like you have a ground loop

Back