aftermarket throttle body for explorer 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

aftermarket throttle body for explorer 5.0

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Does anyone make an aftermarket throttle body for the X 5.0? Last I knew they did not. If not what mods does it take to bolt a mustang throttle body on?

I know the mustang guys were modding the explorer throttle bodys to fit the cars.... what does it take to use an aftermarket one on our truck?

I am looking to get a 70mm accufab

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to modify the arm to which the throttle cable attached. The mustang pulls back on the arm, the explorer forward, so you just need to flip it. (Would probalbly require a quick weld up.

I have a 75mm BBK, which bolts right up to the manifold. I just haven't had time to make the mod and attach. Benn done befor by others.

do you really want to go through all that just to get a 70? thats only 5mm bigger than the stocker... unless your gettin' a helluva deal on a used 70...i would go with a 75.

BTW, your biggest limiting factor is the stock 90 degree elbow. It is not much bigger than 65mm, so not sure how much the larger TB will really do. There is also not much material to port the thing, so looks like a custom elbow would be most benefitial.

yes to both of you guys... after I posted this i realized I was thinking 75mm but wrote 70mm. I was also planning on making a custom aluminum elbow.

btw certain year elbows had more material and where slightly bigger so you could port match it. a buddy bought my brothers or elbow because we had already ported it. also from day one with the 347 in my brother truck we did not have the elbow because of the problems it causes.

what problem does the elbow cause?

Hey Dan- Did you brother ever have a surging idle problem? what did you find the cause to be?

Back