Aggressive AT tire?

Blown

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X-Edge
I have decided on a 265/75 R16 (31.6"X10.4"). I run stock 16" limited wheels with 1.5" spacer, TT and 2" of lift shackles.

I am leaning towards the Goodyear Duratrac for price and ride. "Ride", I see the Duratrac made in load range "C" and the BFG KO2 is not. The only reason the Duratrac is less expensive is the "C" rating. Both tires price close together in load range "E".

Anyone running Duratrac in load range C please chime-in. I'm curious about ride and noise?

I ski, drive snow/ice in Colorado so want an aggressive AT with lots of siping. Maybe I should be looking at another AT on the more aggressive side towards an MT??? Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had the Duratracs and Loved them. I also live in Colorado and they are great in the snow. There is a little bit of road noise from them but not that much. Very bearable to drive with on the highways. I had them on an 01 Silverado and on my 76 Blazer and they were awesome. Once I get the Time and get my ex up I want to put Duratracs on her. They are awesome up in the rocks, snow, and dry. Wish I had them on my ex now.

The last set of tires I had was a set of Mickey Thompson STZ. They never let me down. Never got stuck (and I pushed them through sand, snow, gravel, etc.) and they wore very well. Got a flat once after driving over a screw that had a washer on it so it was pointed up. Even my dad (who thinks of my current Toyo Open Country MT tires as "snow tires") commented on how quiet the Mickey Thompsons were. And I got them in the first place due to the low price, and well known brand name.

These things are the best tire I have ever had in the snow.

Kumho Road Venture AT51

I have those, but had terrible wear on them. They do great in all weather conditions though.

My rears feathered with accelerated wear in the middle. My local mechanic had no explanation on it. Weird feathering while only being mounted on the rears. The last two sets of tires I used, Michelins and Firestones, inflated them within 4 pounds of max pressure, really only showed wear from that higher pressure when I was getting rid of them due to age.

I loved my Grabber AT2s. I’m on my third set of TAKOs, but they ride like bricks. My next set will be Grabbers.

I have those, but had terrible wear on them. They do great in all weather conditions though.

My rears feathered with accelerated wear in the middle. My local mechanic had no explanation on it. Weird feathering while only being mounted on the rears. The last two sets of tires I used, Michelins and Firestones, inflated them within 4 pounds of max pressure, really only showed wear from that higher pressure when I was getting rid of them due to age.

That's a shame, mine are doing great!

Yeah, mine are weird. I got them, had to get and alignment, and had to buy the aftermarket alignment kit. The Kumho tires I have put on cars in the past, and ran on the rears of my Paseo during winter, were great.

Really like the BFG AT KO2s. Watch out for Discount Tire, they might not put them on your vehicle. They did with me.

+1 For the Kuhmo Road Venture AT51's, I have a set in LT 245/75R16 and they have been wearing well! Think I'll get well into 65k+ miles before they're due for replacement.

I work in one of the plants where the AT K02's are made and they are incredible tires. My next set of tires will be k02's. I' running Goodyear's now and they do okay on wet roads, poorly in mud, and have held up too some pretty decent rocks. K02's are pricey but in my opinion they are worth it.

I've got LT265/75r16 Goodyear duratracs on my wife's explorer. They've been decent but a little hard since they are LT. We've put about 25-30k on them and they are still at least half tread if not more. Wet traction isn't the best but it's my only complaint.

I work in one of the plants where the AT K02's are made and they are incredible tires. My next set of tires will be k02's. I' running Goodyear's now and they do okay on wet roads, poorly in mud, and have held up too some pretty decent rocks. K02's are pricey but in my opinion they are worth it.
Before the KO2s I had KOs, got about 73K/8+ years on them, that's why I bought the KO2s.:)

Before the KO2s I had KOs, got about 73K/8+ years on them, that's why I bought the KO2s.:)
They are incredible tires. Really neat to see how much really goes into them.

Thx for the input. I am still leaning towards Duratrec's

I want a tire for a softer ride and yet a more aggressive AT bordering on being an MT.

I don't tow nor load that much and am not out wheeling sharp rock and crap.. E load rated tires got to ride hard.

Hey, Goodyear tires are good tires, not gonna deny that, I'll always be a Michelin/BFG fan but I am a little biased as I make them. Post some pics when you get them though!

Hey, Goodyear tires are good tires, not gonna deny that, I'll always be a Michelin/BFG fan but I am a little biased as I make them. Post some pics when you get them though![/QUOT

Make some P series tires and I 'll buy.

Back