AGR power steering?

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
I seem to recall that an early ford power steering pump from AGR will work on 2nd gens, but I can't find any info on this... Am I mistaken?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Contact AGR. I did just that a few weeks ago re: my '99 Eddie Bauer w/ 5.0 and as they put it "anything's possible". I never went ahead with AGR as I found out my pump is fine. (darn pulleys were making the infamous "PS Pump Whine" sound).

The 4.0L OHV engine used pretty much the same Saginaw "P" style pump in the 1st and 2nd gen. However, the SOHC is different in that it uses the more compact "TC" pump.

If you have the OHV, what I would do is buy a pump for say a 94 Explorer from a local store and see if its the same thing as you have. Once you verifiy that the dimensions are the same, then you can return the pump and get an AGR or whatever pump you want.

Quick update:

On autozones website, they list the same pumps for the 94 as they do for my 95. Thing is, thye also list a 'performance' pump for the 94, which is the AGR goodies. But not for the 95...

...The AGR and stock pump fit identical...At least they are the same for my 91 X and my 95 Ranger that is, if you get the same one I had got...;)

....This is the write up of AGR's other pump...I believe you have to get their steering gear also for warranty...:dunno:...There are modifications required with this one though...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196199&highlight=steering

Yea the other pump is thier high flow one I believe.

I think I've decided on getting a stock pump and modifying it so there is no built-in pressure control. Then by adding an external pressure regulator I can set the pressure to whatever I want, up to 2500 PSI. It would make it quite easy to get the 1500 PSI or more =]

Back