• Register Today It's free!

Air Conditioning

Little Ferd

Reaction score
City, State
Sandwich
Year, Model & Trim Level
00, Explorer, Eddie Bauer
Hey guys, new here. Anyways just topped off my AC on the low pressure side (previously had no AC, AC Compressor never kicked on.) After filling up to the green( from the refill bottle), i started the car, turned on the MAX AC setting on the console. The air is slightly cooler than hot air and the clutch is engaging but only periodically ( 1 second at a time, in intervals of about 30 seconds) and i never get cold air. It seems like progress so i'm just looking for help to get me all the way. Edit: I should add i have a 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fill it with ....
Fill it with truck running
A.c. on max a.c.
Fill is slowly

Or better yet go to a pro

Were there no instructions on the freon can you bought telling you to have the vehicle running while you charged it?

Okay first off an empty ac system needs to be put under vacuum and tested for leaks before charging.
Moisture is what kills compressors and unless you put a vacuum pump on the ac system you will have air in there.
Air will turn to moisture unless you get all of the air out.
Once the system holds vacuum then you can start to charge it, first with oil, then with R134a. A sticker under your hood should tell you how much of each the system holds.
Using the cans to top off the system from the auto parts store may buy you some time, but it will eventually kill your system if you try to fill it from empty or if you have a leak.

Now with that said is sounds like your compressor is short cycling, which means there is not enough refrigerant in the system yet to build enough pressure to make the low pressure switch happy.

If the system leaked all the freon out and the pressure has equalized to atmospheric pressure there is air in the system. You'll never get enough freon in.
It needs to have a vacuum in the system. Evac system. Pull it into vacuum to check for leaks. Then fill.

I agree however this is a real good way to find a leak as a diy in the driveway and then fix it

Then have it filled by a mechanic

It'll save you lots of money
This is the whole point of this forum correct?

Back