Air In & Out and Tuning Device | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air In & Out and Tuning Device

D

Deleted member 224604

Hello...first post here, please let me know of any noob errors :)

My 2013 Explorer Sport was a SUV big shot around here (Austin) for a couple months, now I'm seeing more and more Sports. So, it's time for some mods...

Here's what I'm thinking-

Air In- either the Airraid 451-260 or K&N 69-3531TS

Air Out- MagnaFlow 15218

Tuning- Livernois AIW13ExplorerSport

Respective URL's here-

http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=451-260

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?id=3666&pkid=112150&rw=1

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/displayapplications.asp?partnumber=15218

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com...Sport-EcoBoost-MyCalibr8or-Tuning-Device.html

I'm sooo ready to pull the trigger on this but have a couple questions-

Has anyone here done this set of mods?

Can I get opinions on comparison between K&N and Airaid?

For the $, should I be looking at different mods for a comparable payoff?

Should I be driving a actual sports car instead? ;) (hahah)

thanks for any help/advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The guy at Livernois told me the cat back systems don't really improve performance but just sound good. It's mostly for effect.

As for the Livernois tune, be advised you must run high octane to notice a difference. Around here 93 oct is $.37 more than 87 oct. Based on my driving that's ~$25 pr/mo or $300 pr/yr just for the higher octane.

Thanks jamers99, I appreciate the feedback. I notice that Livernois offers some bundled packages to 'boost' some EcoBoost versions (not yet the ExSport though). These bundles include downpipe mods...I assume this is a performance mod?? FYI, I have little experience mod'ing vehicle performance but I'd like to learn.

I threw on the Airaid intake about a month or so ago. It's ok. I notice a little more power in the beginning of take offs. No gas mile improvement noticed. I'm gonna get the magnaflow exhaust once its available.

I have the Air Raid intake and Livernois tune. The torque management removal in the tune is the biggest difference. Off the line from idle to 3k is where you really feel the torque. Also the shifts are much crisper under WOT.

Torque management huh? Is that why sometimes it hauls ass and other times it's meh?

Could be. All new vehicles have some type of torque management on them. Helps keep warranty claims down.

I should probably know this but...what's "WOT"?

Did the Livernois tune effect each of the Terrain Management modes? Is Normal mode still really front biased?

wide open throttle

I wonder if the Livernois tune also lifts the speed governor -- 114mph is friggen weak sauce. There are tracks around here and it would be embarrassing doing a 1/2 or 1 mile run and you're stuck at 114 after about 15 seconds. LOL

I wonder if the Livernois tune also lifts the speed governor -- 114mph is friggen weak sauce. There are tracks around here and it would be embarrassing doing a 1/2 or 1 mile run and you're stuck at 114 after about 15 seconds. LOL

It does eliminate the top speed limiter.

I've talked with Rick at Livernois about their tune, I'm going to wait on buying their tuner/tune until they develop the tune on a few more Explorer Sports. Supposedly Livernois is buying a XSport for a shop car, they have talked/posted about his on the SVTPerformance site, last I talked with Rick about 3 weeks ago this hadn't happened yet.

Does any CAI manufacture have a dedicated CAI for the XSport yet? Us XSport owners in California need a CARB approved CAI specifically approved for the XSport, the ones for the Taurus SHO & Flex are CARB approved for these models only.

Can I use the INJEN PF Series $224 one on my non EcoBoost 3.5L?

DustySport, a friend of mine installed the K&N CIA for the Taurus SHO bolt for bolt. Super easy install in fact - identical layout.

Can I use the INJEN PF Series $224 one on my non EcoBoost 3.5L?

Not sure Sarge. If you went on the site I believe there is a live chat on there. You can ask them and they could give you the answer. If not you can use the contact us link.

Update: On the right hand side of the screen there is a "need assistance" tab. Just mouse over that and your on your way.

Sent them an email, thanks

Back