Air Intake advice please | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Intake advice please

I agree with Celly and the Volant CAI. I just installed mine on an '02 Sport. Sounds great! fits good and nice quality material. Got mine for $236 delivered from autoanything.com. A bit more expensive but good quality. I have also heard that the Volant produces a better quality sound than the others. Mine sounds great mixed with my Gibson exhaust. Although, the performance is probably virtually the same as other brands, I still recommend the Volant. I know it is a bit more expensive but I like the way that the filter is protected by a box and still has the look of being stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with Celly and the Volant CAI. I just installed mine on an '02 Sport. Sounds great! fits good and nice quality material. Got mine for $236 delivered from autoanything.com. A bit more expensive but good quality. I have also heard that the Volant produces a better quality sound than the others. Mine sounds great mixed with my Gibson exhaust. Although, the performance is probably virtually the same as other brands, I still recommend the Volant. I know it is a bit more expensive but I like the way that the filter is protected by a box and still has the look of being stock.

I went from a MAC to Volant on my old SOHC equipped Sport. Performance may have been marginally better than MAC, but it was the sound I liked better. Couldn't agree more on quality of build. Great stuff. I was choked to know that Volant doesn't make a set for the 5.0, but with some simple mods, it was easy. Yeah, I love Volant. :thumbsup:

intake11.jpg

while we are on the topic of the volant intake, would the 98-00 model fit my 97 4.0 SOHC or are the intakes shaped differently?

I don't really know if your engine is the same set up as the '98 SOHC. I think it may but check for yourself. I believe that #19640 may work for your model and year. Go to this link on Volant's website it may be of help. Look to see which picture best represents your engine. I bought #19540 even though I have two hoses going into my intake tube but at different locations than #19640. I actually had to drill a hole in the front of my intake tube, insert a rubber grommet to get it to work.

http://volantperformance.com/3dkls/iddb/Tfile/FILE/Pictures/Ford40bulletin.pdf

I'd highly recommend the AEM Dryflow filter, as you don't need to mess with oiling it, and they claim better filtering efficiency than a regular, oiled filter. It cost me $50 shipped off eBay. I personally like the stock look of an engine so I kept my intake tube and got an adapter to have the filter directly replace the airbox. Cheaper too. The filter does seem to make a difference in acceleration, subjectively.

Back