Cold air intake advice!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold air intake advice!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I removed my filter today to check for any dust/debris inside the intake tube, on the "clean" side. Sure enough, there was a very fine grey powder. I've never done this before so I don't know when this dust got in there - so I cleaned the tube out and will recheck in 5,000 miles to see how well the K&N is filtering the air.

Some more food for thought.

A commonly referenced filter test is the ISO 5011 test, that shows the AC Delco filter far superior to all other filters on the market and the K&N performing terribly.

attachment.jpg

But AC Delco doesn't make filters, they outsource all of their products. I suspect their filter is the same actual part as a Purolator, or Wix. Even if it's not, the ISO test shows a huge disparity even between paper filters - how could this be?

attachment.jpg

Purolator paper at 98.73% and the Delco at 99.93% - That means the Purolator is 18x less efficient than the Delco, passing 12.5x more dirt, with 50% less dirt holding capacity! None of the other paper filters even come close to the Delco. I don't buy it.

I removed my filter today to check for any dust/debris inside the intake tube, on the "clean" side. Sure enough, there was a very fine grey powder. I've never done this before so I don't know when this dust got in there - so I cleaned the tube out and will recheck in 5,000 miles to see how well the K&N is filtering the air.

I like the thought process here. Getting results from your own vehicle and your own driving conditions as to how much more dirt or particles are getting into your own engine. That's damn scientific of you. I will do the same and I would advise others to as well.

Back