Air intake chip? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air intake chip?

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 sport
Whats the deal with these air intake chips on Ebay? I know what they do, resist some voltage to either the MAF or AIT sensor there by tricking the PCM into thinking its colder out then it is and dumping more fuel. But has any one used them? I would like a few more ponys, but not gonna waste money on nothing. I would like a chip of some sort and intake and cat back exhaust. Just wondered if anyone actualy knoticed any thing from these mods. L8.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're gonna get a chip, get a real performance chip. Not one that just affects the intake. Try Apten, they're the chip brand of choice for most on here.

It makes you run lean, your mileage dies, as do your cat and oxygen sensors over time. You get maybe 10hp max from it. If you really wanna try it, get a resistor from Radio Shack, that's all it is.

Ebay intake chip - $5-10
Radioshack resistor (same as above) - $0.20-0.50

the chip (resistor) plugs into the intake temp sensor to trick the computer into thinking the incoming air is cooler than it really is. This primarily affects your timing, and will advance your timing.

This will not necessarly destroy your catalytic converters or hurt your mileage. Actually the other quality performance ECU's (such as Apten) also work heavily to manipulate the timing curve.

All said - you can try to run one, but keep an eye on the EGT's and listen for any knocking. There *IS* power to be had there.

-Brad

Actual chips don't change the reading the IAT gives, the resistor does.

To prove that the EBAY chips don't work!

My friend bought one of those chips from ebay about two weeks ago, just to see if it would work at all. The one day he did have it in his Lancer OZ, it kept cutting off the motor/power steering, and everything else, when he would go through turns. Any ways he threw the POS away the next day.

Back