• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake Cheap!

Timz917

Reaction score
City, State
Avon,MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing to say about the first one other than Ford did the intake pretty well. I wouldn't personally consider any of the bolt on stuff to be an "upgrade."

As for the second, you can do more good with $15 by just sending it to me with nothing in return.

The 2nd item is worthless.. The manufacturers try and make you believe it will cause a vortex in the intake manifold that will somehow magically give you better fuel combustion and therefore save gas. This is similar to the Tornado product which has been widely debunked as worthless in ALL the Tests. See the Tornado thread on GassSavers.org for more info.

fuel_fan_saver.jpg

Thanks for the help guys.

Intake...

The intake i have that on instead of sending u a tube to run from ur crankcase they send u a breather filter which i installed and it worked great on my truck ive noticed minor decrease in fuel consumption and a minor increase in top end power nothing to make u jump out of ur pants but noticeable difference and some if not alot of ppl have been saying that we have electronic throttles in our 3rd gens but i have wire throttle cable on 4.0 in a 3rd gen 03 and that mixed one zip tie on the throttle cable by the pedal and that opened the throttle up alot more you'll notice huge gain than from stock

Bluebeast could you tell more about the throttle cable you are talking about? But I guess some people would rather me use the SEARCH button! Gooness?
Stu

Bluebeast could you tell more about the throttle cable you are talking about? But I guess some people would rather me use the SEARCH button! Gooness?
Stu
Yep, that's been covered too -- called the throttle cable mod

Good job:rolleyes:
Stu

Excuse me for asking a ? on what I thought was a "information" forum. BTW I asked bluebeast if you don't want to answer don't act like it bothers you and post the ol' "use the search". Just sayin'
Stu

Sorry for "helping" you find it. Aloha means goodbye. (And Hello)

sorry took me so long to answer been working plus im a volunteer firefighter so been caught up... the throttle cable mod is basically looking under ur dash on ur accelerator pedal towards the top where the cable meets the pedal pull on the rubber grommet to pull slack out of the line and place a zip tie around the line so it takes up the slack my ex only needed one it increased my throttle response noticeably some people have done two or three but i used a medium sixzed tie so one did it for me

Thanks a bunch bluebeast! I need to try this when I get time. Sounds like it would really help.
Stu

The Electrician, thanks for the link....

edit: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...4&postcount=15

Stu... PLEASE before you warm up the credit card: READ the LINK Electrician posted PLEASE!!!!..

the ebay thing is garbage, the tornadoes, typoons, etc are a waste of $$...

I went into insane detail and added links and references... I am working on a full fledged What makes a CAI or Not type stickie right now... but its going to take a while to combine 15+ years of documention into 1 thread to put this beast to rest once and for all.

Rob

I don't understand why people are so desperate to do any kind of modification that they'll totally blow money on things like that. The Explorer is always going to be heavy, slow and poor on gas mileage, especially when looking to "modify" on a tight budget.

Offtrac I won't agree with that entirely...

the average MPG/Performance is a slippery slope of missed opportunities and misguided expectations.

You are correct: the Explorer/Monty platform prior to the current "uni-body" platform is basically an archaic station-wagon, on a truck frame, set high in the air, and bred with the aerodynamics of a brick... We all get that. However... when my wife's '04 Monty (4.6L V8, AWD, family of 4, with christmas travel trimmings) can tow a heavy Uhaul trailer through the hills of Missouri, pulling a 3,000# Mustang and associated parts and average 15mpg with under $400 in logical mods, WITHOUT a ECM tuner... I think that's a pretty big performance/MPG WIN!

Her truck (before the recent bearing failure) averaged 17-19mpg (combined driving) with only attention to intake flow, maintaining the basics, good fuel, and proper tire type and inflation. And I am NOT **** about her truck's up-keep as I should be. It goes over on oil change interval, it needs a fuel filter, and don't get me started on the trans-fluid cycle... I'm lucky on that one... shame on me...

"Performance" and "economy" are very personal definitions and perspectives AND also
dependent on the OE's original design.

EXample: My '04 Subaru WRX gets 23.223 MPG no matter how hard I drive it or how easy I take it.. nothing I have applied to the Monty has worked on the WRX.

the Monty, as stated int he link provided, has the so called "stage 2" intake tract upgrade, stage 1 air box mods, upgraded coil packs, Fuzion brand tire which were chosen for specs that maximized the roll diam and minimized roll resistance. Copper NGK plugs changed every 15-17,000 miles, etc etc... the Monty has 183K on it and right up until the bearings started clatttering like Reindeer hoves on a tin roof, it GAINED 2 mpg average to 21mpg combined.

All I am trying to point out is looking at a stock Explorer/Monty, as I see it, and have said before: The majority of units sold were with the 4.0L V-6. Fine... Many argued tha the "paltry" 15-25hp difference between the V-6 vs the V-8 didn't warrant the expense or the expected lower MPG of the V-8... Physics is a funny thing... In order for that V-6 to make up the lower HP it has to still over come the same gross weight. therefore ALWAYS the 4.0L will be working harder. To leave the stop light, tow those jet ski's, dig through that snow, whatever you throw at it, the 4.0L is working harder... even at steady cruise, the v-6 is working harder. I've heard guys/gals say the best MPG out of the 4.0L is 12-14mpg... :eek: I'd freak out if there wasn't a parking brake hung up or something...

Its all about perspective and expectations... You can't haul the family of 4, all the Christmas gifts for the extended family, and suitcases in a Yaris or even my WRX Wagon... simply won't work.

Nor will a typical Explorer/Monty run 12, 14, even 15 sec in the 1/4 mile...

Rob

Physics is a funny thing... In order for that V-6 to make up the lower HP it has to still over come the same gross weight. therefore ALWAYS the 4.0L will be working harder. To leave the stop light, tow those jet ski's, dig through that snow, whatever you throw at it, the 4.0L is working harder... even at steady cruise, the v-6 is working harder.
That's not true on a flat highway assuming both vehicles are at the same overall gear ratio. Any force requires an opposite and equal in order to exist. If all it takes is 20 Newtons of force to continuously move an object at a steady speed "S" (that is to say, no acceleration), and you have two engines (one capable of applying 50 Newtons of force max and another capable of putting out 75 Newtons of force max - both the same weight), both engines will be putting out 20 Newtons of force in order to keep that object at a continuous and steady speed "S".

Thinking about this from the other direction (no pun intended), if one engine produces more than 20 Newtons of force, then that object will increase its speed because a freebody diagram will reveal that the Force vector pointing towards the direction of motion is greater than the total Friction vector - which means an acceleration must occur.

In addition, if the v6 is always working harder, then it must also be rotating at a greater RPM in order to at least make up for its lack of torque in order to produce the same amount of power (that is, energy per unit of time) required to move the vehicle at a steady cruising speed. If that is the case, then the v6 will probably never attain better MPG figures than the v8 because its "working" harder. But we know this is not the case and the v6 can cruise on the highway at the same RPM as the v8 at the same speed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will concede that based purely on mathematical formulas you are 100% correct. And that doesn't mean diddly squat in the REAL WORLD.

Simple question: why does my v-8 gain on the next guy's V-6 going up the slightest of an incline when we both have on our cruise control? Based on Newtonian diatribe, we should coast together... right? since both will only work to MAINTAIN the steady pace?

Biting my tongue because this is EXACTLY the post I KNEW I would get... Hence why I opened the statement with "physics is a funny thing".....

I'm not going to get into a theoretical pissing match. Those who will cling helplessly to their Newtonian Laws versus real world REALITY... so be it... they can live in a perfect laboratory (is that LAB-a-Ra-tory or LABOR-a-TORY?) with a seamless road, perfect inert gases in their tires, and zero head/tail winds... coast and enjoy utopia that the math works perfectly in that bubble.

:blanket statement: I don't know what RPM's a 4.0L Explorer turns at 70 mph because I knew I would be towing with mine and knew I was correct that the V-6 would always be working harder..... back the the discussion....

BUT I wiil offer the following scratch to the surface of the can of worms that COULD be opened:

*There is no such thing as a continuously flat, ZERO grade change road way

*There is no accounting for losses due to variance in road surface degradation, erosion of the surface matter

*Nor a measured way of accounting for the delta % of tire pressure change based on # of revolutions occurring during the steady cycle of a specific tire brand, tread pattern design, tread compound or tread block design.

the list is ENDLESS.... The 4cyl will work the hardest, and the V-6 will ALWAYS be working harder in the REAL WORLD than the identical V-8 to move the same vehicle.

The most important variable is the HUMAN behind the wheel. The one who still wants to get from stop light to stop light like John Force en-route to another Funny Car title or the Dannica Patrick wanting to carve through rush hour traffic on her way to her massage appointment.

But all that aside go through the stock 3rd gen forum, take a minute, or 60 and read through the various urgent problem threads.. look at the OP's info, the overwhelming majority of Explorer/Monty "issues", "failures", "consistencies" are in the 4.0L. Because it has to WORK HARDER to move the same mass of vehicle.

But I just typed all that, to get ready for your reply of "You missed my point because its a fixed parameter of 20 Newtons to move and maintain motion....." etc... yeah I know... REALLY I do know.. I've been through the classes, studied it... I know you're 100% right... but you're not, on this Earth.. it just doesn't work out mathematically...

Physics is a funny thing that way....

Rob

Back