Air Ride Shocks

JJCollett

Reaction score
City, State
Thomasville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Limited
Air Ride Control on a Limited

My 96 Limited has the Air ride control system. These shocks are only available from Ford. Has anyone sucessfully replaced these shocks with standard type shocks? Must springs be replaced? What does it do to the computer? What do you do with the control wires that go into the shocks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I take it you don't care for the oem air unit. What in particular don't you like?

I think you can just turn off the system (there should be a switch in the jack compartment) and replace the shocks with standard ones.

just make sure you dont drive with it turned off, or else you are in for a WORLD of trouble.. if you do decide to take them off, id take the air shocks off your hands :)

I want to replace them because they are worn out with 95,000 miles on them. To completely replace all 4 shocks is in the neighborhood of $1000.oo. I could buy a great set of high performance shocks and a set of tires for that. I am hoping to find someone who has done this before I screw something up.

Yes the automatic leveling works OK but the other features are not especially noticable to me.

well, im considering this too, ill keep an eye on this thread, tell me if you do anything, i know its been done before

I would also like some info on this. I just bought a 97 limited with the air ride and I think the shocks might need to be replaced soon. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ev

Limited air ride system

JJ,

My wife's truck is a 95 limited with air ride. At around 80,000 miles, BOTH of the stock rear air shocks froze up. I got sticker shock from the Ford price on these shocks so I went to Advanced Auto Parts (any auto store can get them) and bought a pair of standard air shocks for the rear. I put them in, ran the air lines to the air nozzle which I mounted on the bottom of the rear bumper and turned off the air ride switch. Unfortunately this disables the front stock air shocks by turning off the pump (due to turning off the air ride switch). I said the heck with it and pulled the front air shocks and replaced them with stock shocks. I had to crank up the torsion bars a little for ride height (since the stock air shocks also provide lift) and drove like that. You HAVE to have air shocks on the rear of the Limited to provide lift because the Limited does not have as many leafs in the rear leaf spring pack as a regular Explorer.
The stock front shocks I put in were a little shorter than the factory air shocks so I fabbed in a spacer under the front aftermarket shocks. Drives just fine now.
The information computer in the center console of the Limited says "Air ride switch off", but it beats having it say "Check air ride" all the time with a leaking factory air ride system.
As for the factory electrical connectors on the factory air shocks, after I unhooked them I zip tied them (and the factory air lines) to the frame. Having the electrical connectors unhooked won't affect the computer as long as the air ride switch is left in the off position. If you turn on the air ride switch, it will say "check air ride"
I was unable to find anyplace that makes air shocks which will fit the front of the limited. If you hear of anyplace let me know.
I am not suggesting you do what I did, only if you want to. I just wanted to let you know I had the same problem and this is what I decided to do. Let me know how it turns out for you and good luck!

Brian, That is the information I have been looking for. I assume you are pleased with the results of your modification and that the ride is improved with the new standard type shocks. I am even thinking about putting in high performance shocks as a replacement. My biggest concern is or was with the springs and the computer. Your comments have helped me decide not to spend the big bucks to replace the factory shocks. Now if I could only figure out how to turn off the "Air Ride Switch Off" message...

Air Ride message

I plan to hook up my wife's Limited to the scan tool where I work next week sometime. If I find anything out I will let you know. It would be nice if there is a way to take out that message. Keep me posted on your progress.

Back