air shocks??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

air shocks???

Reaction score
City, State
baltimore, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4.6L V8 Limited
Has anyone tried air shocks on a EX instead of a lift kit. Or am I just talking foolish noob talk???:D:D:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shocks aren't meant to lift they are meant for comforting the ride.

I'm supposing you mean air springs? those are mainly used for towing because they can self-level with heavy loads and what not (put weight in back, back lowers, spring inflates, backs even again).

I'm guessing noone uses them because it would destroy suspension travel which is ONE may reason for lifting :p and not practical.

But honostly i dont know for sure i'm a noob myself :)

It is entirely too expensive to bag an Explorer just to lift it. It would require custom modifications to the suspension mounts and probably the bags themselves.

I added the air shocks to give a little lift to the rear when putting a heavy load in the back. Was very happy with them. I later did the shackles and the TT to bring the height up for a better look and to keep up with my son. When I off road at Truck Haven I add more air to the rear shocks so I won't hit my trailer hitch as much. The shackles are the better way to lift but the suspension feels about the same. Just my thoughts.:salute:

I added the air shocks to give a little lift to the rear when putting a heavy load in the back. Was very happy with them. I later did the shackles and the TT to bring the height up for a better look and to keep up with my son. When I off road at Truck Haven I add more air to the rear shocks so I won't hit my trailer hitch as much. The shackles are the better way to lift but the suspension feels about the same. Just my thoughts.:salute:

This is the 3rd gen. forum. None of that applies here....

Back