Airbag light help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Airbag light help

gorp00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
My 1997 XLT was in a crash and the airbags went off. I replaced both airbags and the airbag light is showing code 53. If I unplug an airbag I get 32 (driver) or 33 (passenger). Plug it back in and 53 returns. I read that some module(s) need(s) to be reset after a deployment. Is that always true? Which module(s) and would that explain my problem?

Note: When the airbags were out of the car, whenever I would reconnect the battery I would hear 3 tones from somewhere near the passenger dash for about 10-20 seconds. This happened a number of battery re-connections and then stopped. Is this relevant?

Thanks for any help

Open the passenger side door, the panel right in front of the door, underneath the glovebox (panel with the fuel safety shutoff), remove it and there's an airbag module in there that needs replaced each time you deploy airbags, since the sensors when crushed essentially short the module out.

Open the passenger side door, the panel right in front of the door, underneath the glovebox (panel with the fuel safety shutoff), remove it and there's an airbag module in there that needs replaced each time you deploy airbags, since the sensors when crushed essentially short the module out.
Great info. Thanks.

Back