Airbag light | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Airbag light

The ******* has not worked for me, unfortunately.

I finally gave up and took it in to a repair facility this very morning.

I shall report the cause and repair later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Eureka….

Well, my problem is not fixed yet, but I do now know its source. Further, I now know why the ******* trick works ( sometimes ). More on this at end of post.

After scan for the Airbag trouble codes, it was determined that there was a resistance problem in the passenger side airbag circuit. I forgot the OBD II trouble code number.

The infamous yellow plug under the seats that are supposed to go to side airbags ( that the ‘99 did not have available. Well, inside the “capâ€￾ of this connector there is a resistor. This resistor “foolsâ€￾ the computer controller into thinking that the side airbags are in place and working normally.

In my case, the resistor in the cap of the passenger side harness is bad.

Well, Ford, in its infinite wisdom, does not offer for sale the cap assemble, they want you to purchase the entire harness ( for several hundreds dollars ). My mechanic friend got in touch with a friend of his in the parts department of a local Ford dealer and had him search the parts catalogs for just the cap/resistor assembly. We lucked out; Ford has a number for it and the best part is that it is only $6.00. The bad part is it will take a week to arrive ( due to Thanksgiving holiday ),

The repair will then be a simple replacement of the cap assembles. I ordered one for the drivers side also ( just in case ). I will post the part number after it arrives.

My theory on the ******* trick is that it somehow “wigglesâ€￾ the resistor and makes the proper contact. Its not the blowing into the connector, its just the act of removing/replacing it.

I hope this information will help the next guy with the code flashing airbag light,

If you could find out the specifics of the resistor that would be very helpful for anyone who would want to replace this themselves.

EMG7895 said:
If you could find out the specifics of the resistor that would be very helpful for anyone who would want to replace this themselves.

The resistor is somehow embeded into the yellow cap. Nay not be able to simply replace the resistor.

I shall disect the cap when the new arrives.

Al, you are my hero !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took long enough, but we have answers now; I am getting real sick of that dam light.

After further research into the problem, I came across the following TSB:
------------------------------------------------------------------

Restraint System - Air Bag Lamp ON/DTC B1994/B1998
Article No.
03-24-1

12/08/03

ELECTRICAL - AIRBAG LAMP ILLUMINATED -
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC'S) B1994
AND/OR B1998

FORD:
1999-2001 EXPLORER SPORT, EXPLORER

MERCURY:
1999-2001 MOUNTAINEER

This article supersedes TSB 01-1-10 to update the model years and vehicle line coverage.

ISSUE
Some 1999-2001 Explorer/Mountaineer 4DR and Explorer Sport 2DR vehicles may exhibit an airbag lamp illuminated intermittently with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) B1994 or B1998 stored in memory. This may be due to a high resistance or poor connections in the side air bag (SAB) wiring harness circuits or restraints control module. This condition may occur on vehicles equipped with, or without, side air bags.

ACTION
To service, install an overlay harness which incorporates soldered terminals and tin wiring. Refer to the service procedure for direction on which side air bag kit to order. Installation instructions and illustrations are included in the kit.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

FOR VEHICLES WITHOUT THE (SAB), FOURTH DIGIT OF VIN IS "Y" OR "Z"

1. Install a new Non-SAB wire harness kit 3L2Z-14B455-AB. Refer to the installation instruction sheet included in the kit.

FOR VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH (SAB), FOURTH DIGIT OF VIN IS "C" OR "D"

1. Install the appropriate harnesses as indicated below. Refer to the installation instruction sheet included in the kit.

^ 1999-2001 4DR Limited Explorer XL2Z-14B455-DB

^ 1999-2001 4DR Explorer (except Limited) and Mountaineer XL2Z-14B455-AC

^ 1999-2000 2DR Explorer XL2Z-14B455-BC

^ 2001 2DR Explorer 1L2Z-14B455-AC

Reference section 501-20A of the appropriate model year Workshop Manual for additional information if needed.

Labor Operation Claiming Chart

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

SUPERSEDES: 01-01-10

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
14B455 42

yep my moms 2000 had that recall because of the light coming on. We though had the side airbags

Al I Just Bought A 99 Explorer About 2 Weeks Ago And The Other Day I Got The 37 Code. Could You Let Me Know The Part Number For That Six Dollar Part So I Can Go To The Dealer And Get? Thanks Brad Bremer Uawpipefitter

uawpipefitter said:
Al I Just Bought A 99 Explorer About 2 Weeks Ago And The Other Day I Got The 37 Code. Could You Let Me Know The Part Number For That Six Dollar Part So I Can Go To The Dealer And Get? Thanks Brad Bremer Uawpipefitter

When the parts arrive, I shall post the part numbers.

Ya could I get those numbers too?? It would be a big help. Thanks

I've got an airbag light on my '02 X as well, but didn't really find the info needed in this thread. My light lit up this morning upon startup; it blinked for a couple seconds, then stopped, went out for a few secs, blinked for a few secs, stop. Then it stayed lit. The horn, and cruise work fine. I even pulled over after 5 mins of driving and restarted, same thing.

Where are you guys getting "the 3-7 code" from?

I'll take it in to my dad's shopp tomarrow, but may have to take it to a dealership because i don't think any of his mechanics have any diagnostic tools.

Does the yellow cap trick apply to '02's as well?

The air bag light blinks 3 times then 7 times. I believe it gives the code 3 times.

That sounds like what it's doing, I didn't bother to count the blinks as I was driving down the road.

Air bag light

I tryed the blow trick and it worked for now,Thanks.

Well, I have two wires going to this litle yellow cap like thing, that it on a metal "holder" of sorts. The two wires going into the plastic insert appeared to be melted, and one of them had been completely pulled out. I went to the dealership and got a new yellow cap (the one attached to the metal holder) for $5.85USD. My airbag light is no longer on, so I believe this has fixed the problem.

Just incase anyone cares or is wondering, the number on the top of the part I replaced says E-3375.

Are you guys pulling on 2 wires (possibly in black loom or tape) that has a yellow connector of sorts?

Thanks everyone for the info.. I too have a problem with a 02 XLT flashing codes. One of MANY problems with this vehicle. This one had to be built on a MONDAY!!!

Does anyone know what 3 4 code is? I unplugged the yellow cap & everything seemed normal, plugged it back in, it still flashed the code 3 4.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try replacing the cap, it's only 6 bucks.

Well, that's for the 3-7 code, but it couldn't hurt as most of ours are failing... The number on the actual part is E-3375. I wish I still had the bag or invoice to double check that part... I'm sure the guys at the parts counter in the Ford dealership can find it.

Back