AL4D front Seal replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AL4D front Seal replace?

90Aero

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 Aerostar 4.0L
How difficult is it to replace the front seal on a A4LD trans?
Once the trans is removed, is it simply a matter of prying the old one off and tapping the new one in place from the outside?

If that is all you are doing yes. Be sure to stake the seal. Check the spacer behind the flexplate to see if that was the cause of the seal to stop working. If the cause was something else you may have to have the bellhousing machined and seal installed. There is info on this in the transmission section.

If that is all you are doing yes. Be sure to stake the seal. Check the spacer behind the flexplate to see if that was the cause of the seal to stop working. If the cause was something else you may have to have the bellhousing machined and seal installed. There is info on this in the transmission section.

I had overfilled the trans and then drove it on the freeway. trans fluid was pouring out when I got home. Once the level was correct it stopped leaking and I thought the problem was resolved. But on a hot day it started again to the point where there was not enough trans fluid and the trans stopped working altogether 5 miles from home. I poured two quarts in it and raced home and put it up on jack stands pending the trans removal

Back