1990 A4LD front Seal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1990 A4LD front Seal

90Aero

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 Aerostar 4.0L
I overfilled the trans and took it on the freeway. When I got home the trans was leaking trans fluid heavily from the belhousing. I assume that its the front seal.
A phone conversation with the trans shop and they tell me that I can't blow out the front seal by over filling as there is a vent. But it never leaked, and after overfilling, it leaked.

Anyway, the leak seemed to stop once the extra fluid leaked out. But two days latter it began leaking again, so much so, that it stopped working. I added two quarts and drove it home. Oddly enough, it did not seem to leak on the way home. It seems like the seal is working then failing....very odd.

The trans shops said that it may not be the seal but the bushing, etc. behind the seal. I don't trust transmission shops so I felt he was just preparing me for the usual "the problem is worse than anticipated $$$$$"

So my question is, is there any truth to this notion that it may not be the seal but the parts behind it?

Do a search on A4LD bushing and you will learn a great deal. Could be your problem.

Back