• Register Today It's free!

ALC and replacement shocks

ChrisHeapy

Reaction score
City, State
Macclesfield, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT (UK version)
A search found nothing on this in previous threads...

I've got a set of ProComp ES9000 shocks for my '97XLT, but what do you do about the ALC (auto level control)?
Do I just unplug the sensors and air lines and leave the system switched off?

Chris

OK... let me rephrase this :)

On a '97 SOHC with air suspension (what Ford calls the automatic level control or ALC) can you fit standard shocks and just disable the ALC by leaving it switched off? Is there anything else you need do (like tape up the air lines or pull a fuse for the compressor)?

I had sent me a set of ES9000 shocks and was told these were OK, although I still have the option to send 'em back if they aren't. I don't care about having ALC working - it doesn't seem to do much useful for me.

Thanks,
Chris

ALC

I'm no master tech but I do work for a ford dealer in Tn. If the ALC you are referring to is the same as air ride suspension I dont recommend voiding its function. I do know that some newer explorers, expeditions, and excursions have air ride. We are required to turn off the system before we lift the vehicle. If you dont the air susp. it will explode because it keeps on filling the air bags wanting to regain pressure with the ground. Referring to your question, when we switch off the air ride the rear of these vehicles will sag b/c lack of support. I think if you disconnect your ALC you will have this problem. Like I said I'm no master tech. This only applies if ALC is the same as air ride.

Thanks for the reply Matt, I've just been getting my head around the differnt versions ALC (or whatever it's called). It seems mine only has it on the rear, and there's no bags - just a line that goes into the rear shocks. Definitely nothing attached to front shocks anyway. I guess it just pressurises the rear shocks to lift a sagging tail if it's heavily loaded. I tried running it with the switch off and I can't tell the difference.

Chris

Back