All you need to know about keyless entry | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All you need to know about keyless entry

i bought my 96' exploder used a few years ago. It came with no keyless entry remote. Since I have the keypad on the drivers door to unlock the door, does that mean that I should be able to buy an after market remote and programm it to my explorer? I'm just not sure if it even had one in the first place, but considering it has the keypad on the outside im thinkn maybe it did?

Thats what i did with mine and the remote works fine now. I just bought a used one off ebay i think i paid $2 and $3 shipping then programed it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I remember reading that you can also change the factory code by replacing 5 resistors to different values in the keyless module. Anyone here ever do this and be successful? I can't seem to find the webpage I read about.

ok, beenwrong2002, cycle your key from off to run, 8 times ending in the run position, and your doors should lock/unlock, if they do then you can add a remote

and mishawaka, read post 1 it tell you how to make your own code, but the factory code will allways remain

ok, beenwrong2002, cycle your key from off to run, 8 times ending in the run position, and your doors should lock/unlock, if they do then you can add a remote

and mishawaka, read post 1 it tell you how to make your own code, but the factory code will allways remain

ah thanks :thumbsup:

I remember reading that you can also change the factory code by replacing 5 resistors to different values in the keyless module. Anyone here ever do this and be successful? I can't seem to find the webpage I read about.

why would you change that code? you can program your own code...

I can't find the webpage now but I know it's possible, the guy had pics showing exactly how to do it. It was just a matter of changing out 5 resistors to different values.

question, i have a D.E.I. car starter, with remote door lock opener, it came with the truck when i bought it. they disabled the factory remote for obvious reasons. my truck did not come factory with a door key pad, but i have a parts truck that has all the things that you would need. can i add the factory door pad, and will it screw up my remote starter/door locks?

I have an 01' Sport. The module on mine is not in the same location. I cant find it! Anyine know any other location it might be?

I have a 99 and finally found the code with the help of this thread. I got a problem though. The 5 digit code doesn't work when entered. my remote will unlock and lock the doors. the curtisy lights turn on when unlocked and the anti theft will flash red when the doors are locked. Can the rap module still be a issue?? also i bought the vehicle used and had to order a owners manual from ebay. I know that code wont work for mine but on the roadside assistance card it has a keycode of ####X... how can "x" be a factor??? I haven't had a chance to look in other places to see if there is a different code. any suggestions?? is there a way you can check or know if the rap module is working???

Thanks for the info!

Now I need to figure out how to read the sticker since there is NO space between it & the panel! UGH!

I have an 01' Sport. The module on mine is not in the same location. I cant find it! Anyine know any other location it might be?
The original post in this thread shows the RAP/CSM location for the 2nd Generation 4-door Explorer.

For 2001~2003 Explorer Sport, Sport Trac and Ranger, the CSM module should be located in the dash above the HVAC plenum. You must remove the passenger airbag to access the module. The 5-digit keypad code will be stamped on the module label.

I remember reading that you can also change the factory code by replacing 5 resistors to different values in the keyless module.
Close.

You can change the permanent code by changing the positions of the 5 resistors, not their values. There are five rows of five possible resistor positions on the circuit board of the RAP (or CSM) module. Knowing the original code, you can easily figure out the relationship of the positions to the code. To reset the code, desolder one leg of each of the 5 resistors and move it to the position that gives the value that you want.

Keep in mind that there are not actually 10 possible digits in the code. Instead, there are 5 groups of 2. For example, pressing the second button from the left on the keypad could be a "3" or a "4" in the code - to the module, it is exactly the same thing. That's why there are only 5 resistor positions instead of 10.

Code 15832 = code 26741 = code 16841 = code 25732, etc.

To program the hand held remotes:
Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlock control. Insert a key and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position and cycle between 1 (OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming mode has been entered. Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.) Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. NOTE: All fobs must be programmed on the same time for all fobs to work. The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed. When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.[/QUOTE]

Will this work for aftermarket remotes or just factory? I have a remote start that was installed by a previous owner and I want to be able to use this to unlock the doors as well as start the truck. If I hit the unlock button the lights flicker but the truck doesn't unlock. I don't really want to carry two fobs around with me.

I have a 99 and finally found the code with the help of this thread. I got a problem though. The 5 digit code doesn't work when entered. my remote will unlock and lock the doors. the curtisy lights turn on when unlocked and the anti theft will flash red when the doors are locked. Can the rap module still be a issue?? also i bought the vehicle used and had to order a owners manual from ebay. I know that code wont work for mine but on the roadside assistance card it has a keycode of ####X... how can "x" be a factor??? I haven't had a chance to look in other places to see if there is a different code. any suggestions?? is there a way you can check or know if the rap module is working???

use my steps to reset your code, some one probaily programmed a personal one in, when you reset it will be back to the factory one

Xan
DO you know if there is a way or the easiest way to add keyless entry/power unlock to my ex that doesn't already have it?
my ex was involved in an accident before i bought it and the drivers door and rear hatch were replaced and no extra keys for entry... so when i lock the doors i have to open them from the passenger side! (pain in the butt)

Could i pull an oem system off of a junkyard ex and add it in or would that be more work than worth? i also saw someone pull a keyless entry keypad off an old taurus and add it to the door!
Is there a decent after market system you reccommend?
Thanks

You can change the permanent code by changing the positions of the 5 resistors, not their values. There are five rows of five possible resistor positions on the circuit board of the RAP (or CSM) module. Knowing the original code, you can easily figure out the relationship of the positions to the code. To reset the code, desolder one leg of each of the 5 resistors and move it to the position that gives the value that you want.
I found an article on how to change the code on a SHO Taurus. The Ranger/Explorer RAP/CSM has a completely different circuit board and case but it has a similar code resistor setup that could be modified the same way:

http://webpages.cwia.com/~bdklein/sho.htm

The original post in this thread shows the RAP/CSM location for the 2nd Generation 4-door Explorer.

For 2001~2003 Explorer Sport, Sport Trac and Ranger, the CSM module should be located in the dash above the HVAC plenum. You must remove the passenger airbag to access the module. The 5-digit keypad code will be stamped on the module label.

Thanks!! I found it there.

use my steps to reset your code, some one probaily programmed a personal one in, when you reset it will be back to the factory one

i had already tried that after reading the manual and it still does nothing. i even tried adding my own code and still nothing. the keypad lights up and curtisy lights come on when the keypad is pressed and 7-8 9-0 at the same time locks all so i have no idea what's up with it.

I'll try to take pictures when i get the chance but my label doesn't have a forward arrow and i'm going by the code circled in red haha is that right or am i just retarded??
210713.jpg

Thank You!

Thank you for all the tips!

I found my number using a dental mirror like someone suggested. (Although...I did drop it after getting the number & now it is inside my body panel.:(

I also programed my own code in with the directions on here!

So I wanted to thank everyone.

I have only been a member 2+ days & I have learned so much here!

:D :D :D :D :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow just had to say THANKS!! Cant believe I had the code this whole time. I also disable the auto-lock (THANKS AGAIN) cause my door lock is messed up I need to take it apart.

New member here was actually looking for info on how to replace my antenna cause i can't find the damn wire by the head unit.. didnt even finish checking the forums did this right away. Thanks again!!

PS
tried the remote reset (8x with the ignition)... NOTHING!! Any ideas?? The ignition was replaced before..

Back