• Register Today It's free!

Almost a Ford Explorer owner…

RZR

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
Hey everyone! I’ve been looking at Explorer’s for awhile now and I’m ready to purchase one.
I’ve narrowed down my options and model year, I’ve cruised every online marketplace and looked over the dealers.
What is your advice to me on getting the best deal, what to look for on a 5th Gen Explorer (2016-2019 specifically) and any other advice for a soon-to-be-new-owner?
I have one at a dealer nearby that I’m eyeballing. And a couple other dealers as well. I’ve checked a lot of private sales (mostly Craigslist) and I’m not sure I trust these guys.
The one I am eyeballing is a 2019 3.5 EcoBoost ST model. It has a warranty until the end of 2025 and I’ll have a full warranty for 12 months after I purchase it. It has 35K miles. Asking price is $28K. Seems fair to me compared to similar mileage and models (I’m stuck on the 3.5 EcoBoost).
Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone! I’ve been looking at Explorer’s for awhile now and I’m ready to purchase one.
I’ve narrowed down my options and model year, I’ve cruised every online marketplace and looked over the dealers.
What is your advice to me on getting the best deal, what to look for on a 5th Gen Explorer (2016-2019 specifically) and any other advice for a soon-to-be-new-owner?
I have one at a dealer nearby that I’m eyeballing. And a couple other dealers as well. I’ve checked a lot of private sales (mostly Craigslist) and I’m not sure I trust these guys.
The one I am eyeballing is a 2019 3.5 EcoBoost ST model. It has a warranty until the end of 2025 and I’ll have a full warranty for 12 months after I purchase it. It has 35K miles. Asking price is $28K. Seems fair to me compared to similar mileage and models (I’m stuck on the 3.5 EcoBoost).
Thanks in advance!
welcome! not a 5g guru but one of the v6s or two of em had the internal WP issue so that is something to look for. i have hesrd great things about these, so good luck!

Welcome to the Forum RZR. :wave:
Is the ST a Ford CPO vehicle? Just wondering because of the 12 month warranty you mentioned.
The 3.5L V6 engine is susceptible to internal water pump failure but there is no way of checking for that unless there is coolant leaking from the engine weep hole or if the oil is milky looking in which case it has already failed. The extended warranty should cover that. Also, check the leading edge of the hood for paint bubbles (corrosion). The hood is aluminum. Check the spare tire well for signs of moisture/water.
Have the dealer provide you with the vehicle's OASIS report that will show all work done under warranty. Get a service history as well.

Peter

thanks for your replies!
Quick reply to some of the questions and comments…
I chose to go to a dealership (stealership 😂) because I knew there is a Ford warranty left on Explorer’s from around 2018-current and I’m really only looking for 5th Gen newer fascia style (2016-2019) so it narrows down my search to 2018/19 models. And narrowed down more is Sport model (not ST, that’s the 6th Gen model with the EcoBoost).
Anyway, as much as I don’t trust ANYONE trying to sell me a used Explorer, this particular one is a former lease vehicle with 1 owner, 35K on the ODO, and is a 2019, so really low miles which is nice!
The hood looks good (I did my research and saw that the aluminum hood can chip or peel easy compared to steel ones). Do you guys recommend a bra or wrapping the hood to minimize damage? I’m not a fan of the look of a bra but if it helps.
This Explorer is “Gold Certified”.
I asked about the work history and about the water pump (seeing it being a problem in my research) and they said nothing like that has failed in this vehicle. The lease was done at this dealership and all the maintenance is done there as well. I found this vehicle on Carfax, so they post all the maintenance and accidents (if there were any).

I’m coming from 2 Ford Econolines (1991 straight 6 and a 1999 5.4L) and recently a Ford Transit that was totaled while parked on the street.
I ride motorcycles, mostly dirtbikes lately, so I have always needed a van or way to haul my bike.
I’ve had friends drive SUV’s with a hitch carrier for their dirtbike and I like that setup.
The Explorer seems like a perfect SUV for this but also small enough for around town driving, whereas the van was large.
My Transit had the 3.5 EcoBoost motor and I loved the power and pickup it had!
I test drove the Explorer with the 3.5 EcoBoost and it has some great power!
Anyway, that’s a little bit about me and my needs.

I think everyone already commented on the problem areas.

NO to the bra...at least the 'leather' ones that you strap on to the hood. Those trap moisture/dust and actually cause more issues.

PPF over the hood wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't think that would prevent 'the' corrosion issue. I believe the cause of the corrosion is poor prep before paint, but preventing chips with PPF isn't a bad idea. My 2014 Sport w/ 116k miles doesn't have a lot of paint chips on the hood, but front bumper has quite a few.

On the Gold Certified, look over the full checklist and make sure everything is checked and nothing extra is checked.
Honestly, I'm pretty sure that checklist is a joke. My guess is the dealer changes the oil and gives it a once over while its up on the rack and just goes to town the the check mark pen. My 2018 Ford Edge gold certified had checkmarks for diesel specific items.

As stated, highly recommend to have a pre-purchase inspection by a 3rd party, and not one that the dealer recommends.

Back