Alternatives to homelink

chriswells78

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Powell(Columbus), OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
Welp, I have been looking for gray homelink visors for about six months. I'm getting impatient and starting to think of alternatives.

Idea one. get the homelink button set and stick it in my visor. It seems like it might be a PITA. Maybe I'll pick up a spare stock visor and mutilate it.

Idea two. get the homelink button set and find some place else to stick them like in the side of the console or in the lower panel under the steering wheel, maybe even some place else that I haven't thought of.

Idea three. get a tan homelink visor and try to color it gray somehow. Any suggestions?

Idea four. Get a monochomatic mirror from another model with the homelink buttons in it and retrofit it to my explorer.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

31 views, no idears huh?

Maybe some don't know what I am talking about. Homelink is an integrated set of garage door openers that are built into your vehicle. More specifically in the visors of some 00-01 Explorers, Overhead console of 02+. My Lincoln LS has it and I love not having 2 different garage door openers hanging down from my visor. It kind of looks like this.

12c8_1_sbl.jpg

IAmTodd did the swap in his truck and did a thread here

Here is an example of one in a mirror from a Mazda CX7
907b_1.jpg

Here are some examples of just the buttons available...
Chevy Tahoe...
http://i13.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/c9/6a/cf4f_1_b.JPG

Unknown but looks like a Lincoln
d385_1_b.jpg

Out of a crapilac...
2724_1_b.jpg

i like the mirror too. looks more "put-together" if you know what i mean.

The thing with having them on the mirror is possibly having to readjust it all of the time from pushing the buttons. Another thing is going to be the wiring. IDK if the plug in the back of the mirror is the same.

Back