Alternatives to the torsion key kevlar pads | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternatives to the torsion key kevlar pads

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
Has anyone found a good substitute for the kevlar pads that wears out on the torsion keys? I know Ford only sells the entire key as a assembly and its not cheap ($50 each).

I have access to raw Kevlar fabric but was concerned - exposed Kevlar fabric attracts moisture and could cause corrosion.

Are the Ford kevlar pads really just kevlar? Or is it something special?

This setup is only on 95-97 models, like shown here:

attachment.php

Thanks all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best fix I could see would be to have the end of the torsion bar ride in a nice, husky bearing, instead of on plastic pads. 'Course, this ain't the Space Shuttle..... imp

Is there any movement there during normal operation? Seems to me the torsion bars are always under an extreme load and all the movement takes place in the bars themselves. I know there's movement when you adjust the adjustment bolt.

Yes there is movement, but its more vibration and pressure loading and unloading, then it is a rotational movement.

I went to the dealership a while ago looking for the same thing, and was told by the parts desk that those keys are now discontinued.

If that's the case than it seems like you'd want the stiffest material you could put in there to minimize movement, but something not as hard as the keys themselves. I don't think kevlar is the best material for that. I think brass would be better. Only problem then is you have two dissimilar metals touching. I don't think galvanic corrosion is that bad with steel touching brass though.

I noticed my explorer didn't have pads there when I had my t-bars off. I just put some grease in to help with adjusting the bolt. Didn't even know there were supposed to be pads in there. :)

I agree, it doesn't seem like the keys would ever be unloaded and thus the pads wouldn't matter, but it seems like a lot of folks have vibration/rattling problems because of bad kevlar pads.

I agree, it doesn't seem like the keys would ever be unloaded and thus the pads wouldn't matter, but it seems like a lot of folks have vibration/rattling problems because of bad kevlar pads.

I suspect there is bound to be a very minute bit of movement, very small, as the load is applied between the arm and frame bracket. They likely saw possibility of a squeak there, hence the pads. imp

I don't have pads on mine and mine don't squeak and I've got great ears for that sort of thing. :D

I'd say the alternative is to just remove them and use grease.

Grease works for a while, its only a band aid fix though.

I don't have pads on mine and mine don't squeak and I've got great ears for that sort of thing. :D

I'd say the alternative is to just remove them and use grease.

You have a 98... 98+, the wear pads are on the frame, not on the torsion key.

Moly grease should work there.

Back