Alternator free wheel / override clutch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternator free wheel / override clutch

Querys

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer Limited
Dear all,

Does anyone know, if the generator has a "free-wheel" or override clutch?
I'm talking about the 3.5 TiVCT MY 2013.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are referring to the alternator. I have never seen that question or terminology come up before about the alternator. Hopefully someone more familiar with that equipment can answer the question. Are you having a problem with it?

Peter

Never seen an alternator with a freewheeling clutch. That’s an AC thing. Your alternator is always needed, it never cycles on and off.

That's what I found a little confusing.

Never seen an alternator with a freewheeling clutch. That’s an AC thing. Your alternator is always needed, it never cycles on and off.
Maybe I use the wrong words for this (I'm German).
When you "block" the Alternator with a screwdriver you should be able to turn the wheel in one direction, the other direction is blocked:
See this video (its in German but you do not need to listen).

But of course not every alternator has this feature.

Why do I ask?
If the free-wheeling is blocked your belt tensioner flatters/rattles sometimes, especially when you have a vehicle with BMS.

I think that’s uncommon. It looked from the mechanicals that the alternator freewheeled until it’s up to speed, then locks. I see no possible benefits other than being easier to start. The alternator never needs to be removed mechanically from the charging circuit. If you don’t need a lot of power it simply spins easier, and load increases with demand.

I think it’s a typical case of over engineering something easy.

I've never seen that before on an alternator.
I guess I could see a slight benefit in that the alternator can continue to spin faster than the drive pulley if you go from high revs to low revs quickly.
The alternator will continue to 'freewheel' at a higher speed for a short time (tiny bit of extra electrical power?) before it gets back to a speed where it matches the pulley speed.

I agree with Mbrooks420, over-engineering something simple....and adding another failure point (the oneway bearing).

Apparently these are used to be allow considerably lower belt tension, and lesson wear and vibration on the front dress components.

Without being able to freewheel the belt needs to be tight enough to slow the alternator internals without slipping or chirping the belt.

Back