• Register Today It's free!

Alternator Melted Wire

pyxis

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I'd appreciate some help diagnosing this problem with my 97 Explorer. First time I started the truck up today, it cranked a little slow but started up. I should of known something was wrong by the way it started up but I decided to ignore it and pay to tow her home later:(

Later on when I tried starting it up it would make just one click and not do anything else. I took the battery out and had it tested. It turned out ok. I looked over at the alternator and noticed that the wire look a little melted. Looked closer and saw that the whole post had melted off and fused everything together. I pulled the whole post out without any tools and everything just crumbled apart.

I think the wire got loose on the terminal and it arced causing everything to char and eventually melt.

Well I replaced the alternator and tried starting it up but it still makes only one clicking noise and nothing else. I think the alternator might have damaged some other components. I'd like some suggestions on what to check out. Could it have fried the starter? Or maybe the solenoid?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in my experience with the explorer, when the alternator goes it takes the starter with it. I would take the starter out and have it tested.

Did you CHARGE the battery before trying to start with the new alternator? Because it was empty when you coudn't start before, with the old alternator.
Charge it completelly - a "partial" charged battery could also damage the new alternator.

Don't try to jump it either... you need to trickle charge the battery so you don't fry it.

Did you CHARGE the battery before trying to start with the new alternator? Because it was empty when you coudn't start before, with the old alternator.
Charge it completelly - a "partial" charged battery could also damage the new alternator.

I did try to jump start it before I found out the alternator was bad. I really hope that didn't damage the battery in any way. But I haven't tried to charge it since I put in the new alternator.

The guy at Oreillys did say the batter was good after testing it though. Could it still have a low charge?? I'll see about getting a trickle charger tomorrow. Hope those things aren't expensive.

check all the battery wires too, the connections could be suspect,,

At the least I'm going to change the wire coming out of the alternator to the battery since it is charred at the alternator end. Anyone know if they sell a kit for those or do I have to cut my own wire and put the terminals on?

A battery charger should be between 40-60$...
The Explorer battery is pretty impressive so it will take a few good hours to charge at 20A or so.

That's just for maintenance charge (trickle). It won't charge an empty battery. You need something like this.

Another question...apparently the new starters have connections that are different than the old ones. The original starter had a spade connector on it. And the following connector would slide on:
imag0256c.jpg

The new starter has a ring connector:
imag0258z.jpg

1) I know the 12 volt wire connection is the same but how do I connect the other wire???

2) Is that second wire supposed to be exposed like that?

Thanks

Well I figured out how to connect the darn wire. New starters are supposed to come with a different connection than the guy at Autozone made. I just went back and made them give me one from a different box. A little crimp, heat shrink and electrical tape and the Explorer starts right up!

I do have one final question though. I'm scared the same thing might happen so I check the alternator output post after every drive! Is it normal for the post to get a little hot after driving? It's not hot enough to melt, and I can keep my finger on it for about 10 seconds. I'm sure it is normal considering all the heat in an engine but I really don't have to money to go through a new alternator and starter again!

Thanks for all the help! This forum has saved me more than a few times:)

Now to get rid of that squeaking when going over bumps and when stepping out of the vehicle:p

The alternator will be hot (like "10 seconds" hot) after a drive anyway. All parts of it.

Squeaking? Check the shocks... At over 100k miles it might be the time for new ones.

Back