• Register Today It's free!

Melted wire and smoke

Polardogg

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 and 98 explorers
New battery and alternator hooked up pos then as soon as i hooked up neg tje wire from alternator to starter solenoid relay smoked n melted amd no clue why

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which relay melted? Are you also saying a wire melted? Do you mean the fusible link?
sounds like your new battery is installed backwards/poles reversed

Which relay melted? Are you also saying a wire melted? Do you mean the fusible link?
I thought i did too, 100% battery was right, i don't think was a link ?was wires from alternator i admit i was chicken to touch wires, been shocked lol ill try to get a pic tomorrow

I thought i did too, 100% battery was right, i don't think was a link ?was wires from alternator i admit i was chicken to touch wires, been shocked lol ill try to get a pic tomorrow
Om the 94 the battery sits.om passenger side , the relay aits.close on the inner fender and i seen wire from it to alternator, the smoke came from relay or so? White smoke as soon as it.was.grounded.on the battery

If cables are installed on battery correctly, did you at any time remove the cables from the relay, and perhaps connect the smaller adjacent ground cable onto it by mistake?

By your response, it's not clear that you know what the "fusible link" is, so to be clear, there are 2 short, smaller guage cables spliced into the end of the cable from the alternator to the relay. Those are the fusible links, special wires and hopefully all that blew. If so, be sure to replace with the same gauge, and specifically fusible link.

You must have wires crossed somewhere. The only other thing it could be was the internal wiring of the alternator, which I have never heard of before.

This is what smoked the white one coming from alternator
20210129_094154.jpg

Message_1611941861065.jpg

Or was it this back of alternator the same white wire with a boot on it ??

Those two white wires are what's called a "Fusible Link". They are supposed to melt when there is a major short, saving the electronics. That entire wire needs to be replaced. You have something wired wrong.

Those two white wires are what's called a "Fusible Link". They are supposed to melt when there is a major short, saving the electronics. That entire wire needs to be replaced. You have something wired wrong.
No idea what wired wrong all went back in same place unless the rebuilt alternator is bad? 3 wires to tje alt. Only go in one way, battery connections are almost dummy proof plus i doubled.checked unless it.was do to that boot not.being on ?

No idea what wired wrong all went back in same place unless the rebuilt alternator is bad? 3 wires to tje alt. Only go in one way, battery connections are almost dummy proof plus i doubled.checked unless it.was do to that boot not.being on ?
Where can i buy a new fusible link ?

Take the alternator to an auto store, and have them test it. If it’s internally faulted, the machine should show an issue.

Where can i buy a new fusible link ?
fusible link can be found normally among other fuses. be sure to get the same gauge. I think 12 is stock. If the same gauge is not just available for you, it's safe to use a slightly smaller gauge (14 is likely fine), but don't use a thicker one. resplice 2 new sections of same length just as you see on your car. If any carbonization formed on the thick orange/black cable clean that. I'm curious what you find out about your alternator.

fusible link can be found normally among other fuses. be sure to get the same gauge. I think 12 is stock. If the same gauge is not just available for you, it's safe to use a slightly smaller gauge (14 is likely fine), but don't use a thicker one. resplice 2 new sections of same length just as you see on your car. If any carbonization formed on the thick orange/black cable clean that. I'm curious what you find out about your alternator.
I totally appreciate everyone's help. I'll let.you know when i take alternator in

I totally appreciate everyone's help. I'll let.you know when i take alternator in

The alternator is good.
thanks for update. As user bkennedy stated , cables must be swapped/shorted somewhere then. If you could provide a photo that includes both battery terminals & relay in the frame, and possibly another photo that shows all cable/wire connections on the alternator, that could be helpful. Did fuse #16 blow btw?

Your battery isn't by any chance recycled battery as well is it? In very uncommon circumstances a battery's polarity can be reversed.

thanks for update. As user bkennedy stated , cables must be swapped/shorted somewhere then. If you could provide a photo that includes both battery terminals & relay in the frame, and possibly another photo that shows all cable/wire connections on the alternator, that could be helpful. Did fuse #16 blow btw?

Your battery isn't by any chance recycled battery as well is it? In very uncommon circumstances a battery's polarity can be reversed.
The battery is new too i was just driving monday or tuesday when it just died on me and wouldnt start again towed home check to see if lights worked and no then i knew battery wasnt getting charged and toom old alternator in to autozone and.said was no good so i got new battery and alternator and i took my time plugging it all in proper double checked and after connecting the pos. I went to connect ground to battery the fuseable link smoke and fizzed like sound?

The pictures requested really would enable the best option for trouble shooting. And regarding pictures, I just looked at yours again. To what is your power distribution box connected? Because it's not connected to the relay as expected.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You’ve most likely hooked something up wrong if the alternator is fine.

Back