• Register Today It's free!

Alternator swap

gumby688

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I picked up a HO 240 amp alternator that was used in a 95 explorer. I have a 2000 explorer 4.0 sohc. I noticed that the ho alternator has an extra plug between the output terminal and the regular harness plug. I am wondering if the alt will fit in my 2000 explorer and what if anything I need to change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If pics would help I can go out and take some for you guys.

No, the alternators are not interchangeable. The one you have off the 95 is a 3G series and should be for an OHV motor. The alternator for the OHC is a 4G series and not only is it missing the extra plug, if you measure the mounting holes you will find that they are spaced differently even though they look a lot alike. You have to be carefull with swapping alternators on Ford products. Ford made changes with their regulators in that the later years are controlled buy the PCM but they didn't change the regulator plug. So it's possible to bolt the wrong alternator on the wrong year car. If you need a higher amp alternator, your original one can be converted by changing the stator but be aware that in some cases, the high amp one will put out less at idle than the stock unit depending on pulley size. If you haven't added a lot of electrical loads you're better off staying with the stock unit. Most local alternator shops can do the upgrade for you. Keith

Yeah I know about the mounting issue and I have an adaptor to solve that I was more concerned with the wiring and exactly what that extra plug on the older alternator is for. I need atleast 200 amps at 2k engine rpm and the HO does that with a smaller pulley I run a high power audio system in competitions. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I know about the mounting issue and I have an adaptor to solve that I was more concerned with the wiring and exactly what that extra plug on the older alternator is for. I need atleast 200 amps at 2k engine rpm and the HO does that with a smaller pulley I run a high power audio system in competitions. Thanks for the reply.

Why not get a new Mechman Alt or something? They are not entirely too expensive. But I completely understand trying to save a few bucks. If it doesn't work out for you, I may consider buying it off of you if it fits my '96 V8....

Why not get a new Mechman Alt or something? They are not entirely too expensive. But I completely understand trying to save a few bucks. If it doesn't work out for you, I may consider buying it off of you if it fits my '96 V8....

Yeah trying to save some money. I traded it for some extra audio equipment I had. I will post some pics of the 2 different alts and see if that gets any ideas.
ogmhs9.jpg
It what mine looks like.

ic1c7s.jpg
IS what the replacements looks like. Some of the stuff I have found says that the middle wire from the old alt just needs to be cut and ran to the extra plug on the replacement.

The extra plug is a stator terminal and connects to the center terminal of the regulator plug. Your present alternator doesn't use it. You can buy the stator pigtail and regulator plug in aftermarket parts or get them off of a junk vehicle. Keith

Can I splice into the center wire and run it to the stator terminal?

yes but the wire that goes onto the stator has a clip that holds it on. The connector is small and will very likely fall off without the plastic clip. Your regulator plug may not have the center wire in it even though the plug has the terminal. Most starter and alternator shops would have the plugs. I checked a few auto parts web sites and the regulator plug is easy to find but the stator plug isn't. Look on amazon and type in " Pico 5747pt " and you'll see the stator connector. I have these plugs at work. I work at a starter and alternator shop but I'm sure that this forum wouldn't want me to solicit business so the best I can do is try to tell you where to find them. Keith

Keith thanks so much for the info I seen one of the plug on ebay I will go order one.

Make sure that new alt fits the brackets. That HO alt looks like the large case version, The only difference is that the large case is a little deeper and the lower 2 mounting holes are farther apart.

Edit: nevermind, didn't see the earlier post covering this issue. The wiring is not an issue. You can splice that wire in. I run the same alt on my 99 SOHC motor.

Make sure that new alt fits the brackets. That HO alt looks like the large case version, The only difference is that the large case is a little deeper and the lower 2 mounting holes are farther apart.

Edit: nevermind, didn't see the earlier post covering this issue. The wiring is not an issue. You can splice that wire in. I run the same alt on my 99 SOHC motor.

ok so I just take the center wire where it comes out of the d-plug and stick a spade connector or go get an end from a junkyard and plug it into the middle extra spot then right?

Yeah. On the 4G alt it's done internally. You'll need to go to NAPA or Advance or some place similar and pick up a new plug to go into the alt. They should also have that single wire plug as well. The one on your truck only has 2 wires on it. Just get the same plug but with 3 wires. I believe the middle one in the new plug is white. You need to splice the single terminal on the new alt to the middle wire on the new plug. That just makes the connection from the stator to the regulator that was done internally on the old alt. If you look at the top pic in your post, that grey socket only has 2 wires on the plug end on your truck. Cut yours off and replace it with the 3 wire one, splice the wire from the other terminal to the middle one and you're golden.

No prob. Glad to help.

Hi all,

I just changed the alternator in my 1999 Explorer sport. I now have a funny sound coming from under the hood. It is hard to descibe but when I accelerate the noise disappears.

Would anyone know what it could be??

Thank you

Back