• Register Today It's free!

Alternator System Fuse?

ConnieCB

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
So I bought a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT that I love a week ago. When I bought it I knew it was going to be a little bit of work, however it had a new battery the transmission has been rebuilt 2 years ago, and a new motor put in about 5 years ago. Bought brakes and rotors and intended to put them on this weekend.

One of the things that I've been trying to figure out is nothing lights up on the radio, there's no visual at all. And there are no lights on the dash for gauges. The other interior lights work however.

Found the fuse box to the side of the dash, and replaced a blown fuse. However immediately all the gauges stopped responding, so I figured perhaps the fuse wasn't put in correctly, so I took it out and reinserted, making sure it was tight. All the gauges started working fine EXCEPT the battery voltage gauge was reading super low. I figured it was something to do with the fuse I replaced and figured I would play with it later.

Go run errands, and after stopping and going a few different places, suddently the battery voltage gauge drops all the way down and the red check gauge light kicks on. And a few minutes later the vehicle starts beeping! I turn the wheel into a driveway I was taking my daughter, and the engine dies. Won't start.

Family member comes out, jumps my car, as soon I turn on lights or shift from reverse into drive it dies again. End up having it towed home, pretty sure it's the alternator.

Get home, take alternator off, and the battery. Take 'em into the auto parts store, have them tested. They tell me the battery is bad (the battery was less than a month old when I bought the Explorer last week. Guy showed me the receipt), but the alternator is fine. I'm like 'no way test it again.' I made them test it like 4x's and they rook me back there to show me. They ran 95amps and 130. Sooo... I buy a new battery, gauge is still reading super low. Call auto parts store, they tell me maybe the battery needs charged and it's been sitting too long....

I drove it to a family members who hooks a meter up to the battery, says the battery is reading fine. Alternator is not reading a voltage. He tells me the wires and connectors are tight, look clean and seem like they're good. He says he doubts its a connector or wire to the alternator bc it's very rare they go bad.

Could it maybe be a fuse? I located the fuse box on top of the engine, as the hidden one next to the battery and another under the alternator, thanks to YouTube. But none of them are labeled, it's not in the manual book. I can find label keys for the engine compartment box, and the one inside the cab. But not for the battery box or ubder the alternator.

Someone said to find the Alternator System fuse and replace that, but again can't find that. Someone also said maybe a bad grounding wire. Someone else mentioned fusible links?

I'll be honest, I'm not super car savvy. A lot of self taught, from YouTube videos or learned from my dad who passed away 17 years ago. At this point I've sworn to my husband I'm about go get a mechanic and electrical engineer degree so I can figure all this out. Lol. Any help, recommendations, diagrams and videos are all appreciated. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I bought a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT that I love a week ago. When I bought it I knew it was going to be a little bit of work, however it had a new battery the transmission has been rebuilt 2 years ago, and a new motor put in about 5 years ago. Bought brakes and rotors and intended to put them on this weekend.

One of the things that I've been trying to figure out is nothing lights up on the radio, there's no visual at all. And there are no lights on the dash for gauges. The other interior lights work however.

Found the fuse box to the side of the dash, and replaced a blown fuse. However immediately all the gauges stopped responding, so I figured perhaps the fuse wasn't put in correctly, so I took it out and reinserted, making sure it was tight. All the gauges started working fine EXCEPT the battery voltage gauge was reading super low. I figured it was something to do with the fuse I replaced and figured I would play with it later.

Go run errands, and after stopping and going a few different places, suddently the battery voltage gauge drops all the way down and the red check gauge light kicks on. And a few minutes later the vehicle starts beeping! I turn the wheel into a driveway I was taking my daughter, and the engine dies. Won't start.

Family member comes out, jumps my car, as soon I turn on lights or shift from reverse into drive it dies again. End up having it towed home, pretty sure it's the alternator.

Get home, take alternator off, and the battery. Take 'em into the auto parts store, have them tested. They tell me the battery is bad (the battery was less than a month old when I bought the Explorer last week. Guy showed me the receipt), but the alternator is fine. I'm like 'no way test it again.' I made them test it like 4x's and they rook me back there to show me. They ran 95amps and 130. Sooo... I buy a new battery, gauge is still reading super low. Call auto parts store, they tell me maybe the battery needs charged and it's been sitting too long....

I drove it to a family members who hooks a meter up to the battery, says the battery is reading fine. Alternator is not reading a voltage. He tells me the wires and connectors are tight, look clean and seem like they're good. He says he doubts its a connector or wire to the alternator bc it's very rare they go bad.

Could it maybe be a fuse? I located the fuse box on top of the engine, as the hidden one next to the battery and another under the alternator, thanks to YouTube. But none of them are labeled, it's not in the manual book. I can find label keys for the engine compartment box, and the one inside the cab. But not for the battery box or ubder the alternator.

Someone said to find the Alternator System fuse and replace that, but again can't find that. Someone also said maybe a bad grounding wire. Someone else mentioned fusible links?
I'll be honest, I'm not super car savvy. A lot of self taught, from YouTube videos or learned from my dad who passed away 17 years ago. At this point I've sworn to my husband I'm about go get a mechanic and electrical engineer degree so I can figure all this out. Lol. Any help, recommendations, diagrams and videos are all appreciated. :)
@ConnieCB
Ford does not fuse their alternators. Instead, they use a length of standard solid wire with special silicone rubber insulation which blisters and changes color when the device blows. They call them "Fuse Links". They are wired right into the wiring harness, usually in a place exposed where they can be seen. On my 2004, they are located where the alternator output wire goes into the underhood fuse box. Earlier, I can't recall.

Fuse links rarely "blow". Usually, it takes a battery connected backwards to blow one. There are usually one or two associated with the alternator. Unfortunately, Ford used links back in the '90s for other circuit protection also, so some vehicles had as many as 5, but the alternator fuse links are the HEAVIEST wire, usually #12. Look for them. The links are about 4-5 inches long, look like strange pieces of wire colored different spliced right in the wire they protect.

More likely, the wire which feeds power to the dashboard indicator light is not doing it's job properly. That wire "triggers" the voltage regulator which is built-into the alternator. If voltage between that wire and ground drops below a certain value, the alternator output voltage will be zero. A bad connector can cause it, either at the alternator, or the instrument panel, or a fault in the wire itself leading between the two. good luck! imp

"Ford does not fuse their alternators"

Wrong. ford has a fuse on the power feed side for the alternators internal voltage regulator.

1997 Ford Explorer indeed has a fuse for the alternator internal voltage regulator,
15 amp fuse under the hood mini fuse #6

IF this fuse is blown the alternator will not charge and the battery light will be on
Also if the bulb inside the instrument cluster is bad you will get a warning chime and the alternator will not charge

You can easily test if the alternator is charging, with the vehicle not running you should have 12.0-12.5 volts at the battery. With it running you should have 13.0-14.4 volts at the battery.

Have a look:

2007-03-06_225055_1.gif

"Ford does not fuse their alternators"

Wrong. ford has a fuse on the power feed side for the alternators internal voltage regulator.

1997 Ford Explorer indeed has a fuse for the alternator internal voltage regulator,
15 amp fuse under the hood mini fuse #6

IF this fuse is blown the alternator will not charge and the battery light will be on
Also if the bulb inside the instrument cluster is bad you will get a warning chime and the alternator will not charge

You can easily test if the alternator is charging, with the vehicle not running you should have 12.0-12.5 volts at the battery. With it running you should have 13.0-14.4 volts at the battery.

Have a look:

2007-03-06_225055_1.gif
@410Fortune
What I meant was Ford does not fuse the alternator output directly. Indeed, the regulator circuit is fused; thought the OP had mentioned checking that. At any rate, the batt. light was ON, so the fuse was good, no? And, you did not mention the Fuse Links at all, as though you can state positively they are OK.

This tells me (wrong!) that you either know everything, or are highly ego-driven, neither of which helps folks who have neither asset. imp

No exclamation point in my "wrong"
The OP never mentioned checking the Generator/Alt fuse, only that they had replaced a fuse in the fuse box and it had something to do with the instrument cluster.
The voltage regulator is part of the alternator on our trucks, so to me its not correct to say they do not fuse their alternators, that is all I was saying.
The battery light is illuminated = the voltage regulator is not powered = check the mini fuse.....@imp no mention of that in your post..

No ego involved in helping others is there?
I do know everything, didn't you get the memo? and I mean Everything!!

Kidding! Just trying to help, not call you out???????

......Kidding! Just trying to help, not call you out???????
@410Fortune

Fine by me! I slipped up reversing my thinking on the idiot light. Talking a '97 here, I'm not up on 2nd. gen, my 3rd. uses CAN bus to communicate between the PCM and Cluster. "If PCM senses 12V or 0V on the alt. "I" terminal, it sends a signal to cluster to turn on the light." Fed by it's own 5 amp fuse. imp

That is why we have discussions, two (or two thousand) heads are way better then one!

Please do not ever take my text here as me being rude, I assure you I am not!! I have been around these trucks for many many years and builds but this is also just a hobby and there is no way in heck I would ever think I know more then someone else, I learn new things every day......
I never should have typed the word "wrong" instead I should have just said something more pleasant :)

That is why we have discussions, two (or two thousand) heads are way better then one!

Please do not ever take my text here as me being rude, I assure you I am not!! I have been around these trucks for many many years and builds but this is also just a hobby and there is no way in heck I would ever think I know more then someone else, I learn new things every day......
I never should have typed the word "wrong" instead I should have just said something more pleasant :)
Well articulated my friend

Back