Aluminum wheel corrosion - Spidering | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aluminum wheel corrosion - Spidering

^ This ^

Zero reason to use wheel cleaner or anything on clear coated wheels. Zero.

So true. Car wash liquid and a big sponge.

On my Saab I got ceramic pads that leave and show virtually no brake dust. The Saab OEM pads are crazy with the brake dust. The Ex is not bad in showing much brake dust with the OEM pads.

What I do on all my cars is seal the wheels with Nanoskin. Supposed to last 3 years, but I do it once a year. Not only does this protect the wheels, but it makes it harder for brake dust to stick and makes it easier to come right off with a sponge and car wash liquid soap.

http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-mega-trend-paint-coating.html

P.S. I don't use this product on the body itself. You can, but I prefer a paint job with a less permanent sealant that allows waxes or quick detail spray to better adhere if you want to use those. No need for wax or a QD on wheels as they will burn off quick with the heat and even attract more brake dust.

In fact, I would take my wheels off and apply Nanoskin on the inside of my wheels since Ford does not appear to have applied clearcoat there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a good idea. I know of clear paints that you can use for protection, I prefer the ALSA paintable products, which will peel off like any vinyl. It's great for the front end and hood on trips, or for any nice paint job. That's just the clear they have, they also have every imaginable color, candies, chrome, glow in the dark etc, all paintable and removable(from non porous(not dead paint) surfaces). I have a gallon of metallic gray for my wheels now, we'll see how it does.

Corroded aluminum wheels

Ford after 2 picture taking stints, replaced all four of my wheels today. I am totally satisfied. Interesting to know for the guys with this problem is the new rims are completely clear coated inside and out. Good luck with yours.

Corroded polished aluminum wheels

Whats a guy got to do to get these polished clear coated wheel replaced. Mine are all corroded around the center caps. I see Ford has changed the center caps on later models. Why did they do that hmmmmmm? Hard to believe a car this expensive has such cruddy looking wheels. I've takin it to my local dealer and they sent in pictures during a steering gear replacment. Ford said sorry charley. Look for more post soon!

That is the reason I refused to get Polished aluminum wheels. After a few years water and corrosion gets under the clearcoat and screws them up. You may find a shop that can strip the coating off, polish then recoat the wheel.

Whats a guy got to do to get these polished clear coated wheel replaced. Mine are all corroded around the center caps. I see Ford has changed the center caps on later models. Why did they do that hmmmmmm? Hard to believe a car this expensive has such cruddy looking wheels. I've takin it to my local dealer and they sent in pictures during a steering gear replacment. Ford said sorry charley. Look for more post soon!
Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this existing thread on the same issue and merged yours with it.

Peter

*** Attention needs to be paid to your Rims ***

All,

I have replaced my 2013 Ford Explorer's Wheel Rims twice due to a spider-webbing corrosion that starts from the inside sharp edge of the rim. They(All 4 rims) were replaced twice by Ford Warranty. Now that my 2013 is out of warranty, does anyone have any suggestions on how to insure the wheels? I already have a 100,000 extended warranty for the electronics and a few other things, but doubtful that it covers the rims.

Andrew

All,

I have replaced my 2013 Ford Explorer's Wheel Rims twice due to a spider-webbing corrosion that starts from the inside sharp edge of the rim. They(All 4 rims) were replaced twice by Ford Warranty. Now that my 2013 is out of warranty, does anyone have any suggestions on how to insure the wheels? I already have a 100,000 extended warranty for the electronics and a few other things, but doubtful that it covers the rims.

Andrew

Where do you live and how often do you wash your car?

There are two trains of thought that 1) not washing your car enough especially with salty roads will cause this, and also a less common but potentially true option that 2) washing your car too much with certain cleaners can also cause this.

There are two trains of thought that 1) not washing your car enough especially with salty roads will cause this, and also a less common but potentially true option that 2) washing your car too much with certain cleaners can also cause this.
Not sure if they have many "salty" roads in San Diego.

Peter

All,

Andrew
Never had an issue with the 20" painted aluminum rims I had on the 2011 Limited. Not sure which rims you have or the model of your Explorer. Not all wheels are the same.

Peter

Not sure if they have many "salty" roads in San Diego.

Peter

Ahh. Good find, although ocean salt can have the same affect

My Wheels

My rims are on a 2013 Ford Exp Limited. They are Clear coated polished aluminum 20's.

I truly believe I'm the only one that has reported this to Ford, becuase even when I filed a case with Ford about these (trying to start a recall for fellow owners), they said, we have never heard of this issue before. And the dealership also looked at me funny both times I brought them in for replacement.

I lived in Virginia and replaced them once there. No salty roads there during my ownership.

Now in San Diego, I def do not have salty roads and therefor no explanation for my corrosion.

Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this existing thread on the same issue and merged yours with it.

Peter

Thanks!! I cant believe this continues to be such an issue!

I know car washes can cause this too, it's documented.

All,

Andrew

Dealer offered me a wheel warranty during the sign off, it was approx $600, included replacement as a last case scenario.
There is dealer on here who offers genuine Ford ex warr via the web for less than typical retail, find it in the Ex warr thread and ask for a price on wheel warr.
The clear coated wheels are tough to care for in salt states, and there is so much sh*t that is hot hitting them from the brakes, as well as weird stains from chemicals from the road/other vehicles-especially trucks- that its a real chore to keep them minty.

I have this issue on the 20" aluminum rims on my 16. I got one replaced so far. Now the other 3 are very bad.

I have attached a few pics.

Also, the Ford plastic center caps have all been replaced twice already and are now due to be replaced for the third time.

IMG_1462.jpeg
IMG_1450.jpeg
IMG_1454.jpeg

Anyone else have these issues?

At first I thought that it was caused by trying to pry the center caps off but that would not explain the issue on the spoke. I believe I've seen that posted here before but have not been able to find it.

Peter

And those are just three of the many pics I took. I have maybe 20 separate spidering issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

corrosion coming through because of poor adhesion.

Back