Am I missing a seal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I missing a seal?

Jordan46

Reaction score
Im replacing the front hub/bearing assembly on the passenger side of a 1995 ford explorer 4x4 and I was wonder if there is a seal that goes between the bearing assembly and cv joint or between the cv joint and the knuckle to seal off the bearing? If not how does it stop all sorts of dirt from getting into the bearing assembly. Basically is there a seal for the back of the bearing assembly and the knuckle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did some searching and I think I might have found what its called "Dust Excluder Shield" would that be correct.

*edit* alright so its the dust excluder shield that im missing does anyone know where I could purchase them?

The hub assembly itself is a sealed bearing unit. The lack of the dust excluder seal won't really hurt it. It mainly keeps gunk from packing up in there and seizing the hub in the knuckle.

Im pretty sure its part of the outer CV boot and you cant get it seperately? I cut mine off my new CV's after putting it back together the second time, because they wouldnt stop squealing after replacing them and putting it back together the first time, and havent had a bearing problem in 4 years..

why did i just say that......

I don't know why you said that, but you're going to wish you hadn't...

:D

Back