Amber LEDs for my Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Amber LEDs for my Ranger

I did this project awhile ago, but I never posted it, so here is a step-by-step process in how I installed them.

They are 4 LED dash lights that I bought from a friend who had them on his truck and decided to get rid of them. They also came with the necessary wires and control.

Here's what you need:
4 tupperware containers w/ lids
Clear caulk
Suction cups
Drill bits
Sheet Metal Snips
Black Semi-gloss spray paint
Angle Square
Heavy Duty Velcro

Here's what they look like: And you can also see the herculiner I did last Spring.

This is the control that has 5 wires coming from the back. 4 for each light and one for the power source. It is shown with a 9V battery because they don't draw alot of power. I ended up using a cigarette outlet plug.
P1010865.jpg

And here is what 1 of the lights look like.
P1010866.jpg

They didn't come with the metal brackets with suction cups that dash lights normally come with, so I made my own with some old tupperware containers.

The angle for the front windshield of my ranger is about 45 degrees, so I had to cut 2 of the containers to match.

The back window is obviously flat so I just had to make the containers big enough for the lights. I used clear caulk to hold the lids on. I used the sheet metal snips because it made cutting them alot easier.

I drilled the holes in the back to accomodate the wires and screws for each light. I scuffed the finish on the plastic containers and painted them 2-3 times.

Here are the brackets that will lay flat against the front and rear window to prevent reflection into the cab:
P1010857.jpg

P1010859.jpg

P1010860.jpg

I then fed the wire through and mounted the lights on the brackets using the screws that hold the back plate to the light housing:
P1010870.jpg

P1010872.jpg

P1010874.jpg

Now I could place them in the truck. 2 in front, 2 in back. The front 2 will be next to eachother right above the rear view mirror.
P1010877.jpg

The other two will be on both sides of the rear glass.
P1010878.jpg

I ended up mounting them vertically instead of horizantally so I could open my rear sliding window.

I drilled small holes for the hooks of the suction cups, put them in the windows, and tucked most of the excess wire under the trim.
P1010886.jpg

P1010882.jpg

P1010885.jpg

P1010881.jpg

I plugged it into the control and mounted it to the headliner with the velcro. They have 3 flash settings. back and forth strobe or back and forth or they all blink at the same time. I placed them so the front 2 will alternate with eachother and the back 2 will alternate with eachother.

Here they are lit up-

The windshield:
P1010889.jpg

P1010890.jpg

and the rear window: *remember, ended up mounting them vertically*
P1010888.jpg

I have since removed them because the control mounted to my headliner with velcro would fall off sometimes and I wanted to put the wires underneath the headliner. I plan to mount the control somewhere else. I also want to see if I can find different brackets other than the ones I made.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to put my lights back up, but they're not too bright. They are noticeable from a fairly good distance, but I would like them to be brighter.

When I bought and wired the cigarette outlet plug, I got only a 9V one.

So my question is, would using a higher voltage cigarette outlet plug make my lights brighter?

I want to put my lights back up, but they're not too bright. They are noticeable from a fairly good distance, but I would like them to be brighter.

When I bought and wired the cigarette outlet plug, I got only a 9V one.

So my question is, would using a higher voltage cigarette outlet plug make my lights brighter?

When you say you are using a 9V cigarette outlet plug, do you mean it is only rated for 9V or that you measure only 9V at the cigarette outlet plug with you volt meter?

1. If it is only rated for 9V and you are using it on your 12V system, then you should replace it with one that is rated for 12V.

2. If it is rated for 12V and you measure only 9V at the cigarette outlet plug with your volt meter, then you need to find out why you only have 9V on a 12V system.

3. In order to run 12V through the LED's they must be 12V LED's. If they are 12V LED's and you are only lighting them with 9V, then lighting them with 12V should make them brighter.

I hope I didn't confuse the issue. :)

You didn't totally confuse me.

In answer to your question, the plug is only rated for 9V.

I didn't measure it with a volt meter, it's just what the guy at radio shack told me when I bought it because I mentioned I had been previously running it on a 9V battery and I guess he figured I wanted the same amount of power.

I am not sure what volt rating the LEDs are rated for, but I will ask my friend who I bought them from, maybe he knows.

And just to clarify, if the LEDs are rated for 12V or more, I can use a cigarette outlet plug that is also rated for 12V or more, right?

Yea, the cigg lighter would be fine, I probably wouldnt wire more than 2 of the housings to it though.

can you show me what the tupaware looked liked before you cut it, im really wanting to make some of these flashback sheilds for my lights

or should i say can you show me HOW you cut it... lol

Yea, the cigg lighter would be fine, I probably wouldnt wire more than 2 of the housings to it though.

Would that mean I'll only be able to run two lights at one time?

you would be fine running plenty of these lights off of a cig lighter plug

OK, thanks. I think I'll switch to the 12V cigg plug next time I'm free.

I'll post pictures of the tupperware containers later.

Very nice work! I've always loved the look of behind-the-glass LED units, even more so if the rear glass is tinted like yours. If you're looking for a place to run the wires up front I'd take the a-pillar route. That whole interior piece pops off very easily and there is ample room underneath to run your wires. Another suggestion would be to hide the control box. I'd place it in your center console. It will prevent accidental activation of the lights as well as preventing your buddies from turning them on at inappropriate times, haha.

Very nice work! I've always loved the look of behind-the-glass LED units, even more so if the rear glass is tinted like yours. If you're looking for a place to run the wires up front I'd take the a-pillar route. That whole interior piece pops off very easily and there is ample room underneath to run your wires. Another suggestion would be to hide the control box. I'd place it in your center console. It will prevent accidental activation of the lights as well as preventing your buddies from turning them on at inappropriate times, haha.

Thank You. I did actually hide some of the wires under the a-pillar trim, but only for the rear lights. There really wasn't a place to hide the wires for thje fronts so I just used a few zip ties, but I now want to hide them, so it will probably be under the headliner. I also don't have much of a center console. Its a really small box mounted on the bench seat. I plan to make it a bucket seat and will then make or use another center console

Here is what the tupperware containers looked like before I cut them up. They aren't sold anymore like this, but you might find some at a garage sale. I had mine lying around in the garage holding hardware.
P1011143.jpg

You'll need two of the large containers and one small container with a lid.

Here is a representation of where to cut the housings for the lights. The two large containers are for the front. They both need to be thick enough for the lights so they dont stick out, then the cut could taper for the angle of the front windshield.

I used an ipod shuffle case to act as the lights.
P1011146.jpg

P1011147.jpg

P1011148.jpg

The small container is for the back. Just cut it in half. Cut the top in half seperately from the rest of the container.
P1011149.jpg

I picked up the 12V outlet with a switch on it to prevent my battery from draining and soldered it to the control for the lights. I also found out that the lights are 12V. I found a really small sticker on the back describing the voltage, so the plug will be fine.

Here is the new plug
P1011151.jpg

And here is a shot of the lights.
P1011150.jpg

And them running
P1011155.jpg

P1011156.jpg

Good call also on mounting them inside the cab away from the elements. I had a set of strobes almost identical to these (except they were larger) and they were advertised on ebay as water-resistant. They weren't.

Yea. I wish I could mount two behind the grill, but I can tell these just aren't meant to get wet.

I'd have to get something other than dash lights if I wanted to do that, but I'm pretty satisfied with them, so I probably won't.

Also, after changing to the 12V plug, I'm not really sure how bright they are compared to the old setup. They appear brighter, but I'll wait until I mount them to be sure. I want to possibly use something other than the suction cups that don't always hold.

i used some as drls on mine for a while rain and shine.

Disreguard this post. I was trying to edit something else and I made a mistake.

Yes ill see if I can find a pic and post

best pic of them i have,
2011-01-06_11-34-15_632.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice!

I might do something similar on my ranger, like driving lights or something and mount them behind the honeycomb grill.

Back