Amp and sub recommendations please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Amp and sub recommendations please!

kaised

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Bronco XLT
Right now I have a Pioneer DEH4100 and 4 Pioneer 6x8's. If I have 300 bucks to spend on an amp and possible a sub, what do you all recommend? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It really just depends on what you want out of the system. If you want a low,deep, heart stopping bass than 300 may buy you one sub. If you just want a little thumping then I'm sure you can get a nice amp/sub setup for 300. You could possibly pick up maybe 2-10s or 1-12 and an amp off of ebay for 300. Just have to start searching the net.

$300 for a sub AND an amp? hrmm, well, I'm not sure, but you may be able to squeeze a nice autotek SX series amp and perhaps an audiomobile Evo 10 for that much, both really great product lines from what I've worked with :D

I just threw 300 out as a figure, I know very little about car audio, so I don't have a clue about amp and sub prices. I know I want some more power to the 4 doors, which I hope will sound a little louder than off the head unit. And I'd like one sub to start, and if possible, run it all off one amp. The best description of the bass I'm looking for is, enough so the guy (or girl) in the car next to you can hear it, I guess I want thumping over "heart stopping bass" What do you think the best buy is? What brands, what exact model subs?

well if yer gonna run it all off 1 amp, you need a 5 channel, which really isn't too hot IMO. although I do beleive autotek makes one, its easier usually to just run 2 amps.

As far as sub brands, the audiomobile evo 10 (model #2210 S24 if you're only getting 1) has gotten rave reviews from everyone, I run 2 Evo 12s currently. I imagine the person next to you would hear a bump from this 10, but the majarity of this sub is designed for the inside of the car AKA, it may not be setting off car alarms, but it will give you a nice bump inside and probablly a decent thump outside.

As far as amp, and of course I am abit biased cos I run this stuff lol , but I'd recommend an autotek SX275 or even an SX2150 if yer feelin frisky, either will do just fine, the 2150 will give you more power, so you may get more out of the sub, but its running closer to the subs max power. all of these figures are based on a 2 ohm load from the DVC 4 ohm Evo (bridged parallel)

you can get the audiomobile evo from www.sounddomain.com I haven't heard of a single person that isn't happy with this sub talking to them

the Autotek amps from www.thezeb.com

as far as a 4 chan for your door speaks, the only thing I can say right off hand is an autotek SX4160 or an SX480

yea, I'm a bit biased to those 2 brands, but I run em and am very satisfied :D

check out thezeb.com they got a awesome deal on audiobahn subs.....you can pick up a 12 inch audiobahn for around 91.00 thats with shippping and everything.

later,
ryan

Thanks for the tips. If I get a single 10 or 12 in sub should I go with a Q logic box? The stealth stuff seems kind of pricey....I'll check out the sites you guys recommended. What power range should I be looking for in a 4 channel amp to run the pioneers in the doors? And is it going to make enough of a difference to be worth doing? When I get an amp, is it going to matter that my CD player only has one set of RCA preouts? Thanks for the help again

As far as only having one set of preouts goes, you need to see if they are for the front, rear or non-fading. Non-fading is what you use to connect the headunit to the amp for the subs so when you play with the balance and fade that it doesn't effect the subs.

As far as power for a 4 channel amp goes to drive the Pioneers, I'd have to say an amp rated at 50-75 watts RMS per channel should do fine. It should improve the sound depending on how you set the bass, trebel, etc.

Q-Logic makes nice boxes for subs but depending on where you end up getting the subs from, check out about boxes from them. When I bought my subs 4 years ago I got the local audio store to throw the box in for free since I was spending my money with them and not some big box store like Best Buy or Circuit City.

Let us know what kind of deals you find and keep us updated when you finally do the install.

Back