• Register Today It's free!

AMP Gain Help

Josef86

Reaction score
City, State
Merrimack, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
HU is Eclipse CD5030. (claims to have 5 volt preout). Amp is JL G1700. It says there are two input mode low voltage (200mv-2v) and high (800mv-8v)

I am trying to set the gain using a multimeter like it says in the book (very hard for me to hear when it distorts at 50hz).

I have HU at 75% volume and all speakers disconnected (external amp for speakers fuse pulled) and on the sub amp (jl g1700) I have the sub disconnected. I put the 50hz cd in and put the multmeter leads into the speaker outputs.

When I use the low input voltage mode my meter shows 47 volts even with the gain all the way down. I am supposed to bring it up to 37.4 volts. So its reading high. When I switch it to high voltage input I can only read about 9 volts maxed out.

Am I doing something wrong? At this time all I am I have done is turned my gain all the way down and run the sub like that. If the book says I am only supposed to get 37.4 volts why am I getting 47. Could be a typo I guess, really wish I had an oscope.

I am not sure if its correct but I disconnected one of the RCA and the voltage dropped 10 volts. I never had this problem with the old e1200,

HU is Eclipse CD5030. (claims to have 5 volt preout). Amp is JL G1700. It says there are two input mode low voltage (200mv-2v) and high (800mv-8v)

I am trying to set the gain using a multimeter like it says in the book (very hard for me to hear when it distorts at 50hz).

I have HU at 75% volume and all speakers disconnected (external amp for speakers fuse pulled) and on the sub amp (jl g1700) I have the sub disconnected. I put the 50hz cd in and put the multmeter leads into the speaker outputs.

When I use the low input voltage mode my meter shows 47 volts even with the gain all the way down. I am supposed to bring it up to 37.4 volts. So its reading high. When I switch it to high voltage input I can only read about 9 volts maxed out.

Am I doing something wrong? At this time all I am I have done is turned my gain all the way down and run the sub like that. If the book says I am only supposed to get 37.4 volts why am I getting 47. Could be a typo I guess, really wish I had an oscope.

I am not sure if its correct but I disconnected one of the RCA and the voltage dropped 10 volts. I never had this problem with the old e1200,

you have all EQ settings to flat, bass boost etc set to 0? You have the multimeter set to DC low-volt?

Bass boost off, EQ is flat.

The amp has a low volt high volt switch on it. I guess it adjusts the range it looks at for input. Multimeter is set to AC.

On monday I think I am going to go back the shop I bought the amp from and have them take a quick look at it. The owner is pretty cool and if hes in he will help me out.

Back