• Register Today It's free!

amp install

Sapp4191

Reaction score
City, State
BALDWIN, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EXPLORER XLS
Hey i just recently bought a 02 explorer xls and was wondering if there was a pre exsisting hole in the firewall where i could run an 4 guage amp power wire thru

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site :) If the 2002's are anything like the 95-01 there should be a grommet right around the pedals. If you get down there and pull the loose carpet back you will probably find one.

On the 3rd gens, the hole is on the passenger side. I ran 4ga through the hole with no problem.

Is the battery also on the passenger site on the 3rd gens ?

no

i pulled up the carpet on my 98' and there wasn't any hole that i can see really....can anyone post a pic of the gromment if that's possible...sorry for the trouble

i have 2 runs of 1/0 ran to the back, but it didnt go through the firewall :(

on my 99 sport and on the 95 XLT there was a large grommet (I fit 3 1/0 wires through it!) down by the pedals as was said, I dont think it's there though if you have a manual tranny, could be wrong. Your hood release cable goes through it, so follow the cable from the hood release to the cable.

I had to go under the truck on my Expy though and up through the rear floor.

Drill a new one... thats what I did.

Either above or under the hood release ( I dont remember which)

On my 2004 there is a large rubber area surrounding the steering wheel column. You can drill into that as long as you keep it far away from the movement of the actual column.

Easiest thing is to drill a new hole right next to the hood release cable hole. Takes all of 5 minutes and doesn't require butchering/overloading the existing grommeted holes.

If you get lucky there might be a block off plate where the clutch pedal would be if you had a standard. I simply unbolted the plate and drilled a hole, bolted it back up and ran the wires.

Back