AMP? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AMP?

E

EBRUSHER

I just replaced the factory speakers with some Pioneer 3 way 6X8's....BIG diff in sound quality. Anyway, was wondering...I read that the premium Ford factory system has an amp in it. Where is it located and can it be replaced with an aftermarket amp wihtout major mods? I was thinking about replacing it to get a little better sound out of the existing system. I think it needs a little more bass but am not sure if I want to put in a sub. Would this do the trick?

Thanks for any advice or feedback.

------------------

After reading your two posts, it looks like you have almost the same questions I have. However, I am a step ahead of you and have had many of them answered. The premium system has a separte amp connected to it. This amp, though basically functioning the same as aftermarkets, is connected quite differently. The factory amp however is quite weak as you have probaly noticed. Because it connects via remote power and speaker cables directly to and from the reciever, it cannot be replaced without major modifications. The factory head unit is designed to work with its factory amp. Unlike almost all aftermarket units, it has no built in power chip to power the speakers. Due to this, it connects to the amp using cables that aftermarket amps do not use. So basically, the head unit will not work, or at least not well or safely, with an aftermarket amp. I have been planning to replace my system and have come up with the best solutions. First, I would recommend replacing the head unit and using its built-in power chip. Though small it will produce at least twice as much as your factory amp and will make use of the full capabilities of your new speakers. However this will require bypassing the factory amp. This requires connecting a bypass harness to the amp and running speaker cables back to the receiver. After this is done the system will function like most other systems. Then you could connect a seperate amp like you would with a standard system. I would recommend purchasing from Crutchfield since they will provide this complex harness and all other kits, harnesses, and full instructions for free with your purchase. Also, the factory amp is located on the rear-quarter panel on the car's right side. If you have any other questions please email me, like I said I am currently going through the same process as you. Also tell me what speakers you chose because I am looking at some Pioneer's to go with the Pioneer system I am about to install. My email is bird382@aol.com

Replacing your amp will probably give you clearer sound, and allow you to play your speakers louder, but it probably won't help you get more bass that you're looking for. If you want more bass, but not just too much, then you don't even have to spend alot. More likely, if you are trying to increase the frequency range of your stereo (those lower bass notes) you will still have to get a woofer and a small amp. The reason is that lower bass notes need more air movement to be created. Although you could just replace your amp, you will still only have those 5x7s or 6x8s. Thus the surface area of the cones remain the same; to increase the bass waves, it means that instead of increasing cone area to push air, you're relying on the speaker being able to travel more in and out. However, these speakers really don't have a lot of movement, because they also need to play the midrange notes too. It's difficult for them to play both at once.

IMO, I would recommend just keeping the stock amp, and just buying a tiny amp and a small sub, if you don't want a hassle. You don't need a huge amp, even 100 watts RMS will do. Even the 6.5" SAS would help you out if you wanted just a little augmentation. The addition of the amp that you may buy anyway, coupled with just the extra woofer will make a much larger difference in sound than just replacing the amp the existing stock amp in its place. You might just want to take a look at a powered bazooka tube too, they are often easily auditioned by most car audio places- an amp and sub in one package, or the powered MTX thunderform.

The current amp in the car, is weak in comparison to most aftermarket amps, but can still be better than some aftermarket head unit power sources, *depending* on what brand you purchase and it's RMS power rating.

If you do want to get an extra amp, although most amps need RCA inputs available from aftermarket head unit, some also take speaker level inputs. If you would like an amp that doesn't have speaker level inputs, Audiolink has a product that will convert speaker level inputs into RCA outputs, so there you go!

Good luck!

Back