• Register Today It's free!

Amsoil prevents servo bore wear?

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
Does anyone here know if running a high end synthetic like Amsoil tranny fluid would help with the servo bore wear issue on the 5R55W/E's? I realize Mercon V is a synthetic to begin with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The aluminum case gets worn down because the servo is made out of steel. A repair kit from WWW.ServoBore.Com should fix it. As far as synthetic fluid, it might be a superior lubricant, but it won't prevent metal against metal from wearing down. They should design the bore with a roller bearing set up instead of just having the metal slide against a plain metal bore.

Brooklyn, so fluid doesn't enter this bore, it's dry?

I emailed my local trans shop that rebuilt my trans (shifts great) to let them know about the kit...he said they've had the tool for the 5R55W but "a kit for the 5R55E has never been available", heh. I emailed him back with a direct link to the servobore page that lists the kit for the A4LD and all of its predecessors. On my trans they just replaced the case. New or used I have no idea.

Brooklyn...this is what the trans man emailed me...this shop, in my opinion as well as countless others in the area, is top notch.

"I stand corrected, none of my suppliers seemed to know there is a kit for the a4ld case. Still, though, not enough demand for me to invest in it since the older cases are available and cheap compared to 5r55w cases. Synthetic fluid certainly wouldn't hurt, hard to say if it would help that much though. Especially since, as you said, the mercon V is already a synthetic blend. Part of the issue is the amount and angle of the load against the servo pin when it applies - which I think is the reason it was a rare problem in A4LD/5R55E units. I wouldn't worry, the rest of your truck is likely to be dust by the time the case wears like that again. Thanks again."

This was after he told me that no one made a bore correction kit for the 5R55E. Really nice guy that knows his transmissions. They do good, clean work.

Yes, he is...and he's had the tool for the 5R55W bore correction kit for a few years now.

Back