• Register Today It's free!

An professional is needed

Goodfella

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Limited
hi guys,......is there anyway to use the factory cd changer with an aftermarket deck with cd-changer controls? maybe a harness?.....the tricky part is.....my goal is to keep the factory radio and put my new aftermarket deck where the heating/AC controls would be....so i bought a deck for cheap cause it wont play cd's.......i have an EQ that works with 2 inputs so i can run my Factory deck and the new deck and switch them with the flip of a button.....the best or both worlds....so i will need to splice into the Signal wires off of the factory cd-changer and sumhow interface it with my new deck...i am not using the internal amp from the factory deck nor the new deck cause i have a seperate amp..

thanks
Goodfella

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless the aftermarket HU is specifically designed the control the factory changer (which very few are), the changer won't work with the new HU.

Amps: the factory amp separate, behind the rear cargo panels. The aftermarket HU has a built in amp which you bypass if you run RCAs off it.

Ok, now I'm totally confused!

My suggestion: get a aftermarket HU that you're happy with and maybe one that can run the stock changer (it's clarion if that helps) and ditch the factory HU and amp. All this messing around is way more complicated than you need or want and I don't see what benefits it gives.

umm, why do u want to run the stock HU in conjunction w/ an aftermarket HU??
I dont see how this is the best of both worlds??? why would u ever want to switch back and forth between them?

well....i want it to look as stock as possible....and i want to be able to play cassettes too....i just want the good clean sound(high voltage preout) that an aftermarket deck provides....and i think it will look cool....u kno.....a stock but not so stock installation..
what do ya guys think?

plus i get to still use my factory 6 disk cd changer.....

Get a nice double din aftermarket HU that is black and you'll be much better off. There are many with CD and cassette. While you're at it get XM also, then you don't have to worry about a changer ;)

Yep Alec is right on the money...Get a double din that plays both, it wont look 100% stock, but will be alot better than what you described above...factory decks are crappy...

yes....i kno factory deck is crappy....but thats the point...i will have "the best of both worlds"....and retain my factory look....and when i want....switch to the aftermarket deck that will give me excellent sound, etc.

If you can figure it out, more power to you. However, I've installed audio professionally and I think you should get an aftermarket HU and keep it simple.

So you want switch A: for absolute crap sound.
and switch B: For absolute awesome sound.
Well you'll have a nice bumpy road ahead of you, if you do this....

Back