• Register Today It's free!

Android Head Units?

dysfunkshun

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Just wondering if anyone out there had any good recommendations for an Android compatible head units. Ive been looking at the Pioneer App Radio 2 for some time, but it doesnt seem to be geared towards much Android. More of an "this is for iphones! and i guess android can play too, but they need to pay more and not have as much fun" type of thing. Ive searched around a bit and havent found a whole lot out there, at least geared towards Android. The couple I have found are off-sounding brands, and theyre all either froyo or gingerbread. I have a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 right now, and enjoy it quite a bit, but being a tech-geek, I'm always looking for something new! I was pretty much sold on the App Radio 2, but the extra $100 for the Android cable and the fact that I cant play cds or dvds directly are having me look other directions. Well, let me know of any other options or ideas that I may have overlooked, and thanks in advance!

I bought the AppRadio2 last week and I've been searching the net for info and couldn't find much so I decided to experiment with stuff myself.

Pickup the unit up from BestBuy and installed it myself, I am not a fan of iPhones at all so I was happy that this supported android products. You can use HDMI or MHL cable not branded by pioneer to get the display mirrored from your phone to your headunit but it appears that you cannot get app mode working w/o spending the $100 on the original pioneer product.

Like you I was a little turned off that I couldn't use CD/DVD's but I was planning on using my iPod touch for movies/videos. Additionally, over half of the small selection of apps thats available more than don't support android!

IMO, if you have an iPhone then this could good headunit for someone but I leaning on returning this back to BestBuy and using this cheapo headunit I bought from amazon (Valor 868).

Let me know your thoughts.

Back