Another "bearing" thread: HUB29 vs HUB67 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another "bearing" thread: HUB29 vs HUB67

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Hello all -

I know those threads get boring after all, but maybe it will help someone.

Also, thanks to EDWX who did tons of research on that issue before, and gave me the idea.

At 183k miles my truck ate another front hub. I replaced the right front at 100k miles, then left front at 119k miles, and last week I started hearing the hum and grinding noise. I was convinced from listening to it on turns that it is the right side making noise, so I ordered a Motorcraft HUB67 for $ 170 from eBay, and replaced the right side. Also, looking at my maintenance log, I was pretty sure about the right side being bad since it had more miles.

WRONG

After I installed the new one, the noise was still there. Every time it happens, the symptoms are exactly opposite on these cars :) So I took the one I removed with 83k miles on it and installed it on the left side. That was it. When I had both hubs in my hands, just turning the "bad" one with my palms, I felt the grinding, while the old one was smooth. After a test drive, everything is quiet again.

I just completed a 300 mile camping trip last weekend with a probably 4k trailer behind and all is good.

Just FYI, the first 2 times, I used HUB29, now I used HUB67, and they all fit. The HUB67 is cheaper and comes with more hardware (5 additional bolts, not sure why if you need just 3). Not sure what the difference is, besides 29 being about 80 bucks more expensive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would surely like to know what the difference is between the two. At 98k I replaced both fronts in mine with hub 29 and if next time I can use 67 I will. Before I do that though I would like an answer to the question - what is the difference - besides price.

No idea in the difference in hubs but I do know what the 5 bolts are for. 3 go to the hub and the other 2 replace the caliper bracket bolts. The (3) should have 15mm heads and the other (2) are 18mm. Most of them are already lock-tited too. Some brands include them and some don't. Like Timkin and National usually doesn't include them but a cheap Driveworks one from advance auto does.

From my experience jacking the wheel and rotating and wiggling the tire (9 & 3 oclock then 12 & 6 oclock) hand hold positions and you'd feel the play in the wheel bearing. Even if its not making a noise by hand spinning it the play in the bearing means it must be replaced.

I have done it a few time in my Son's Explorer Sport now. We just replace a 3rd now with a Timkin bearing which is much more expensive and should last much longer.

Difference in hub67 vs hub 29

Just my .02 but ordered and received a hub 67 for my 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6 and while changing out the old for the new I noticed the abs harness was too short and the rubber mounting points(for the harness) were different, so I called the Ford garage and said mine needed the hub 29 which has the longer harness.. The hub67 was listed for my vehicle but by the vin it called for the hub29. The only difference I saw was the length of the harness. Hope this helps.

What was the difference in harness length? Was the actual wire short or point from attachment clip to body connection shorter? Another thread a user stated the length was OK, but require some adaptation for clips.

Please advise, as I need to order ASAP and would like to save the $80 if possible!

Thanks.

HELLO,

I need to buy a good quality wheel hub. Which brand do you recomend?
What do you think about the Hub-67 and the Hub-29?
Do I need to modify the hub before the instalation?
Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2007

You can leave the harness in place and just change the hub.

i have a friend that is a parts manager at a Ford dealer. we did some research and I went to a few different part stores and compared the parts and harnesses. HUB 29 and HUB67 are the same part BUT the hub 29 has a "improved" Timken bearing and seal which is supposed to last longer therefore more expensive. So I took a chance and ordered the Timken hub assembly from rock auto that is cross referenced with the HUB29 part number hoping it has the same bearing. this is the one I ordered >> TIMKEN HA590156 {#6L2Z1104A, 7L2Z1104A} when It arrived at my house I compared the new part with the hub29 I removed from my 06 EB and the Timken part number that was stamped into the bearing was Identical. Timken hub assembly was $157 USD. Harness was exactly the same and fit perfect.

Back