• Register Today It's free!

Another Carbon Buildup Post...

Reaction score
City, State
Leesburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4X4 OHV
Hi all-
Just got the X back from the 24k mile checkup. I had them check into the noise that I've been obsessing about lately- kind of a cross between a tick and a knock under load.

After comparing these sounds to a "normal" OHV engine (don't know how they do that) they determined that it was the carbon buildup. They ran the cleaner through it (3 bottles from what I can tell from the write up) and although it seems a little quieter, it's still making the noise.

I think I'm relatively comfortable in knowing that "this feature is by design" as Microsoft usually says in their tech bulletins. However, they charged me $30 for the cleaning. Do you guys think this should have been covered under warranty, or is it considered "wear and tear"? I like this dealership and didn't want to be an a**hole and question everything.

Just wondering.

And now that these noises have been declared normal, it's time to start the mods *insert evil laugh here* (as time and very little money permit!)...

I had the same problem in my 94. I put a new thermostat in it and it started to ping under load, even a very light load. I tried a couple of meathods to clean the carbon out but ended up just giving it to Ford. They replaced the MAS, and a faulty O2 sensor. The completly fixed it. Now the engine runs a little on the cold side and hasn't pinged yet.:fire:

Z-Max!

Isaw a infomercial on this and it seemed pretty cool, it suppose to get rid of all carbon buildup and if it doesnt they give you like a 100 dollar savings bond or something...and they fix anything wrong with your car that Z-Max is suppose to fix if it doesnt work.

I think its only 40 bucks, and the guy Carol Shelby uses it in all his vehicles!!! lol, I dont know how much they paid him to say that, and even if they did at all...but thought you might want to check it out boys.

www.zmax.com

Good Luck!

Mike

Back