• Register Today It's free!

Another ESP or waste of money?

SeanEXP

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer EB
Last year when I purchased the X i purchase a 12month/12,000 PremiumCare Warranty for $1,000. the X is at 58,000 and will expire at little over 62,000 miles.

The reason why I purchased the ESP the first time was because my 99 XLT was horrible everything you can possible think that could go wrong did. from the transmission, transfer case, problems with the rear diff and etc.

I purchase the vehicle at around 50,000 miles and so far the dealer fixed:

-tie rods which where too tight
-rear differential overhaul
-change some linkage( i think the transmission linkage)- had problems shifting out of park...still do sometimes
-wheel bearing broke on passenger side- couple of weeks ago
- sway bar bushing- was covered but it was less than my deductible

have to go back again because the steering is messed up again.

I'm sure this is well over $1,000 worth of work. But is it worth to get another one, i am worried that as soon as i decide not to get it the transmission will go, timing chain, rear end goes..again...and with my luck all of these might happen all at once..:rolleyes:

With your experience with this gen. at close to 60,000 miles, is there anything that will most likely come up...big repairs?

fordwarranty quotes me Premiumcare 24months /24,000miles with $50 deductible for $1,660 probably take off a few with the promo code. <<< worth it or no?

I don't want to waste money but than again I don't want to be stuck without a vehicle(only one).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Given that you have the 4.0 engine and from what I've read about the death rattle I would be concerned and given a opportunity to buy another ESP I would consider it. You didn't mentioned if you had 4X4 because the posibilty of the from axle leaking and that would take a few dollars to repair. You mention rear bearing and I assume only one was done so that's something you may want to keep in mind. The transmission is something to think about also and would cost more than the ESP. If you plan on keeping vehicle for a few years, I'd say get the ESP.

Its really a tough call . . . . kinda of like Black Jack, lol.
If i where going to do it again, I'd BUY the ESP, just so i don't have to worry about anything. Especially if i was still paying it off a loan or something.

With our '04 i was going to buy the full ESP for $2500 then, but i didn't really have the cash so we didn't (no payments, owned free and clear). So far it has worked out even with a tranny rebuild ($1600) some wheel bearings ($400) everything else has been wear items. If something major goes, i'll be sunk. In my case it was like spreading out the ESP payment over the 6 years we have owned it.

Its really a tough call . . . . kinda of like Black Jack, lol.
If i where going to do it again, I'd BUY the ESP, just so i don't have to worry about anything. Especially if i was still paying it off a loan or something.

With our '04 i was going to buy the full ESP for $2500 then, but i didn't really have the cash so we didn't (no payments, owned free and clear). So far it has worked out even with a tranny rebuild ($1600) some wheel bearings ($400) everything else has been wear items. If something major goes, i'll be sunk. In my case it was like spreading out the ESP payment over the 6 years we have owned it.

No payments ....I dont believe in borrow money and paying interest on vehicles because they decreased in value. I just don't wanna pay for something which i wont need but than again people have claim to have it pay for itself with a big repair. i hate blackjack by the way...lol seeing thing like the "death rattle" really have me worried.. but than again some people had really good luck with their X.

i will see how it test me for a couple of thousand miles and see where it takes me(keeping fingers crossed)...if i do decide to get one it will be before this one expire so i wont have to go through the inspection process.

tranny rebuild and wheel bearings(excluding wear and tear parts) are the only big repairs you have done? How long you had yours and were you the first owner?

when i had the diff. overhaul it was maybe a month since i had it...took dealer a little over a week to fix... if it wasnt for bad luck i wouldnt have any luck at all...:rolleyes:

Bought in early '05, 2nd owner, b-lot purchase which is a used ford lease lot for employees. Had only 6k on it, one oil change at 5k (receipt), looked like no one really drove it. It now has 85k on the clock. Maintenance is been very up to date ever since we owned it.

Back