another freakin exhaust question.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

another freakin exhaust question....

In terms of numbers to which I clearly don't have much experience with, how much cfm(?) will a flowmaster muffler output? I was told by an exhaust dude that my 4.0 sohc will take in @ 500 but the flowmaster only puts out 250-260. Is this salesman talk or do different mufflers have different outputs to consider? By the way he recommended the Mac catback but gave no numbers on that setup. Thanks in advance.:)

I know a few people that say the Mac is good. I have no experience with it. Yes, different Mufflers will have different flow rates, that is what makes them different. I have a Gibson (got a price I could not pass up), and it is pretty quite, but has a good flow. If money was no option, I would probly get the Magnaflow.

Your salesman is being just that, a salesman. Flowmasters have sufficient flow to properly work on the 4.0. There are numerous people here, including myself, that have run Flowies on a 4.0 with very good results.

As Black Magic said, different mufflers do flow differently, but total flow doesn't always matter. You do need some backpressure to develop good low end torque on the 4.0. If your exhaust has an equal or greater flow than the intake, you won't develop enough backpressure to work properly.

I don't know the exact flow #'s on the Flowmaster products, but they do work well on an X.

I remember a few years back, Flowmaster advertised their mufflers as the muffler that could suck air out of your exhaust more compared to no muffler at all. I don't know if this is even possible.

BM I haven't read a thread from anyone that has the MAC exhaust that didn't say that they were too loud. I am very much interested in purchasing one but I can't find anyone that has good things to say about it.

Back