chas_3rd

Reaction score
City, State
wixom , michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 2door
Hi everyone
Ive finally found a question to ask and Im hoping some one can gimme an answer

I was driving home a few days back , down a rough stretch of dirt road and caught a huge hole in the road. almost instantly after that the truck stalled,. I started it up it fired right up .. then stalled . a couple more times start and stall .. Anyways I manage to drive it home the last mile by pumping the gas to keep it coming?
And soooo Im wondering if these symptoms ring a bell to anyone ?? if so plz chime in with thoughts Im gonna pull the tank off and put a new pump in unless advised otherwise .. TY

thx Chas long time listener first time caller

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check fuel & exhaust

I haven't experienced what you described but I'll give my opinions anyway. Are you assuming that the jolt jarred the fuel pump so much that it has failed? Before changing the fuel pump I would look for physical damage to the fuel tank, fuel line, fuel filter, exhaust pipes, catalytic converters and muffler. Anything near the bottom of the underside could have been hit causing a flow restriction.

ok ty and Im sure I feel the pump whirring in there

That means check the lines for a squish (I dont know why I didnt do that) then Im gonna do the filter and cross my fingers ..

thx again chas

Check you vacuum lines. You may have knocked one off when you hit the bump. A vacuum line problem will give you what you are describing.

Hi guys thanks for the advise wanted to let you all know what the problem was.

last year it got very cold and the EX didn't wanna start , i did frozen gas line checklist and took off air supply things etc etc until it fixed itself

well this last problem was that the "big bump" I hit knocked the connection from the mass airflow thing off of the front of where it shoots air into the (whatever its called) to mix with the gas. . so air leaked around this gap instead of coming from that air box and thru the MAS. . . that caused it to start up run a couple seconds and die . . also explains why I could constantly pump the accelerator and make it home . . SOOOOO plz forgive my newbness and my lack of proper part naming TC guys and thanks for the vacuum leak tip which was how I saw the gap so add that to things to check when the next non mechanic asks thx CHAS

and the run-on sheesh

Back