Another heat and ac thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another heat and ac thread

armyindc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer-4 door XLT
I am sure this has been answered but I am new here and could benefit from the collective knowledge and experience here!

I got the Exploder (affectionately named) this spring with 142K on it and I have replaced a lot of OEM bits here and there, like the hole front end and a fuel pump to name a couple. Most of the ideas I got came from this sight. So I am back with a question of my own.

I have great AC and GREAT heat and absolutely nothing in between.....

Its max AC or blazing Heat.

I have replaced the heater control valve and the heat actuator door and I have no change.

Best I can figure is insufficient suction in the vacuum line or a broken actuator door.

Note sure how to test the door without cutting the box open, since it seams like a sealed system.

And the heater control valve does work, but it does not open and close every time i turn the mix knob. (Is it supposed to?)

Could I try something as red neck (my default status) as duct taping the connections of the vacuum line?

Any advice is welcome advice!

I personally wouldn't mess with it, but if you must...

I would start by pulling the blend door actuator off visually checking it's operation when you adjust the temp knob.

There is a pseudo potentiometer inside it for determining the blend door position.

I fixed mine by taking it apart and cleaning the contacts inside (the ones used to determine the blend door position).

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417326

Not sure if this is your problem, but it's where I would start. This does seem to be a common failure part for a lot of people on the forums here, but the failures usually mean it's stops moving, not moves to one extreme or the other without stopping in between.

Back