• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Another heat and ac thread

armyindc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer-4 door XLT
I am sure this has been answered but I am new here and could benefit from the collective knowledge and experience here!

I got the Exploder (affectionately named) this spring with 142K on it and I have replaced a lot of OEM bits here and there, like the hole front end and a fuel pump to name a couple. Most of the ideas I got came from this sight. So I am back with a question of my own.

I have great AC and GREAT heat and absolutely nothing in between.....

Its max AC or blazing Heat.

I have replaced the heater control valve and the heat actuator door and I have no change.

Best I can figure is insufficient suction in the vacuum line or a broken actuator door.

Note sure how to test the door without cutting the box open, since it seams like a sealed system.

And the heater control valve does work, but it does not open and close every time i turn the mix knob. (Is it supposed to?)

Could I try something as red neck (my default status) as duct taping the connections of the vacuum line?

Any advice is welcome advice!

Explodr94

Reaction score
City, State
Vista, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XL
If it works don't fix it. JMHO

gatzdon

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Exp XLS 4WD V6 OHV
I personally wouldn't mess with it, but if you must...

I would start by pulling the blend door actuator off visually checking it's operation when you adjust the temp knob.

There is a pseudo potentiometer inside it for determining the blend door position.

I fixed mine by taking it apart and cleaning the contacts inside (the ones used to determine the blend door position).

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417326

Not sure if this is your problem, but it's where I would start. This does seem to be a common failure part for a lot of people on the forums here, but the failures usually mean it's stops moving, not moves to one extreme or the other without stopping in between.